classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 gear box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1stpop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 gear box Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the correct size and length of the bolts used to fix the gear box (bell housing) to the the engine? Although the top bolts are in place the bolts around the bottom are all missing (3 I think - or what I can see without removing the car floor).

My car is a 1946 Morris 8 Series E
1stpop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

The bolts are missing because the threads have been stripped in the engine block!

Anyone know which is best - re-tapping the threads or as suggested by a mate - driling through the block and using threaded bar to join gearbox to engine?
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Hybrid bolts? Reply with quote

I think that you may have some metric fine 8-1 mm bolts with a 1/4 Whitworth head, which are 1" long. This is part of the 30's Morris legacy which used former armaments manufacturer, Hotchkiss, acquired in WW1, to build engines and allowed them to use continental tooling with, bizarrely, Whitworth heads as a concession to British toolkits. They are probably the same as your sump bolts.
You could try drilling/retapping to the next size up and using a modern metric bolt size.
Boring Tucson SUV
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retap! Drill through both gearbox flange & block(without going deeper than original) to tapping size for next larger size sourcing allen headed bolts(for clearance) & tap set to suit before drilling. Drill(carefully) through gearbox flange ONLY to clearance size. Tap block & fit allen bolts. Cheers,JD.
1stpop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again fantastic advice - worked a treat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gearbox is out, it costs less than £40 to replace every bearing and bush, about an hours effort, so well worth it as new bearings & bushes will protect some of the bits that can't be bought of the shelf.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: