classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Need some of your knowlege!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Journer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Need some of your knowlege! Reply with quote

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p559/Journer/?action=view&current=Photo0050.jpg

Could some kind person look at this photo and tell my if they think this engine is a 1725 or a 1592. It says in tear off slip of the registration document that its a 1592 but I'm not so sure. I have been waiting for the return of registration document but it's taking a while. I know this Vogue was registered on January 1965 so would I be right in saying it;s a Mark 3? It would seem that the mark 3 changed to mark 4 in that year. Please give me your thoughts...
COMMAD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy 1725 as I'm sure the oil dipstick was on exhaust side of 1592 Smile Smile
Trust this helps.
Journer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged, The thing I have seen on the 1592 is the oil filler is at the front of the rocker cover where as the 1725 has it at the back. So, it makes me believe it's had a bigger engin fitted at some time in its 47 year history. Thanks again.
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be worth noting down the number and speaking with some of the Rootes boys
Journer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much ado in finding out about this engine I have since discovered that this is actually a 1592 with the new mark 3 alloy head and rockercover. It looks exactly the same as the 1725 only difference is the 1592 has two places that can accomodate the fuel pump...there you go. Wink
ian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: 1592 & 1725 Reply with quote

From memory, the dipstick on the 1592 motor is set in a thin cylindrical tube which is integral with the pressed metal sump.

The 1725 motor has the dipstick located direct into the block near the oil filter.

If you fit the earlier 1592 sump to the later 1725 motor, you will risk crank clatter on same, as the 1725 unit was stroked slightly.

The 1725 cc Hillman Hunter engine is compatible to fit into 1956 -67 series models, but you will need the earlier front mounting plate which will bolt straight onto the Hunter block.

The earlier bell housing is also interchangeable, and the later all synchro box will fit, but the primary shaft will need to be changed. The Hunter one is longer.

Some years back I fitted a Hillman Hunter motor into a 1956 series I Minx. It utilsed a Hunter overdrive gearbox , and ther motor was built up to Hillman Hunter GLS specs [Holbay] . It is quite easy to do.

Ian.
Journer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Ian!
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1965 Sunbeam Rapier with the 1598cc engine.

It is as you describe...alloy head,twin choke solex carburettor,oil filler at the rear etc.

Photographed at the MOT testing station last week...passed with no advisories. Very Happy

Great cars to drive as a daily driver or to take to shows etc.
I think Rootes cars were underated for many years whilst Fords,Jaguar,Morris Minor,Mini`s etc took the fashion mantle.

But over the past 4 years I have been hooked onto them since accidentaly purchasing our Hillman Minx Californian 1956.

If anybody out there has any spares for Rootes cars please let me know...it will help keep my few in fine fettle.

bob2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly like the one a friend owns (or rather his father does), he's fitted wire wheels though!!
Lovely car!!!
welshrover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer wrote:
Much obliged, The thing I have seen on the 1592 is the oil filler is at the front of the rocker cover where as the 1725 has it at the back. So, it makes me believe it's had a bigger engin fitted at some time in its 47 year history. Thanks again.

on the series v/vi minx
both engines look the same apart from the different carb, zenith 30vn on the 1592 and zenith 34 iv on the 1725. thermostat housing comes off the front of the head on the 1725 and on the top front on the 1592. same rocker cover in steel. both filled at the front both got cast iron heads .the alloy rocker box goes with the alloy head as it fits differently to the cast iron heads rocker cover. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: