classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: 1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1 Reply with quote

Good afternoon Gents! Wink

This tired old girl of mine has been in the family since 1972 and is rotten in all the usual places. Have any of you guys had any experiences of restoring the monocoques on the Alpine/Tiger family? Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Will
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which aspects ofthe monocoque restoration are bothering you?

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will

Interesting to hear about your car - do you have some photos of your Tiger? Haven't you had one of these UJ?? or am I thinking of someone else?!?!???

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good memory Rick, dont remember mentioning the Tiger, but do the Alpine. (a leak to fixa leak!) Laughing

Kind of why I asked, to see what I could remember!

UJ
XL391

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Which aspects ofthe monocoque restoration are bothering you?

UJ

All of it!!! Mainly, how to tackle the sills and cruciform outriggers... Confused
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you jog my memory by posting some photos?

UJ
XL391

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a while Joe, i've moved house and she is buried in the garage at my mums!! Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly which parts are you looking for on this drawing?

UJ
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for them Joe, I can get hold of them. It's just that i've heard that they are an absolute pain in the ar*e to replace!! Razz Have you had both then Joe? Alpine & Tiger?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both! If they are still around, they are possibly in your area as well....

Replacing the parts? I cant really answer that one, as a lot depends on both how much experience you have at restoration, as well as tools and equipment. I know how I would attack the job, but thats not to say that you should do it in the same way.

Remember, I've been working on vehicles for over 40 years....

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recall restoring a tiger/alpine with mate John Ledingham in Virginia some years ago; other than the absolute graft of removing the rusted parts back to sound metal, it was straightforward and fairly easy to work on. my impression of the tiger/alpine is that it was the car the MGB would have grown up as. being slightly larger and roomier, and based on saloon underpinning, it was more basic in construction than the B IMHO.
locally there was a P6 rover for sale about 2 years ago; complete but unfortunately badly rusted in the monococque. now there's a car to shy away from in that condition. the tiger would be a walk in the park compared to that!
XL391

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures shortly Gents... Wink
XL391

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Acres of Rust... Reply with quote

Sorry gents, but these are pictures of pictures!! You'll get the idea anyway...

62rebel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeellllll; i seen worse. worked on worse, in fact, but (thankfully!) not alone. best advice is to take on one job at a time, and not to start working all over at once. if that v8 is a proper 5 bolt 260 i may have some bits i can donate if you can arrange shipping from US. it's almost a shed, but not quite! save the old girl... they ain't making any more, so i hear.
Master-J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Tiger problems... Reply with quote

Nice to see your car, I felt at home. In a couple of early workshop manuals the did show a gadget especialy made for Rootes cars that med it possible to have the car in the air. (how the hell could I explain) and actualy spin the whole car around. There was even a crossfixture that could be placed on top level of the bodywork inside the compartment. After this was done its easy to replace chassie parts of the car with no problems in having a car looking like e UNC-bolt.
Have had the opportunity to restore a couple of Tigers and app 15 Alpines in me days. Good luck with your great car.... all work needed will show it was really worth the struggle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: