classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hazard lights--when unavailable for a certain - alternative?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
jessejazza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Hazard lights--when unavailable for a certain - alternative? Reply with quote

I've just spent a couple of days trying to work out how to replace the now unavailable knackered switch for an alternative- aperture dimension 20 x 50 mm.

a] i'm not quite sure how the circuit works - the switch is basically an off-on but one has six spades 4.8mm.

b] there are switches available [kit car ones from folk like Europaspares] but either wrong aperture dimensions, 6.3mm spades (minor problem replacing the 4.8mm spades), or terminal block but difficult to work out [for me!] which is required.

c] But some switches have a different number of terminals? On this one it's six which are the following... as best as i can make out from the wiring diagram

six connections
- hazard flasher unit
- indicator front RH and rear RH
- to joint
a] indicator front LH and rear LH
b] column multiswitch

- indicator flasher unit
- supply from fuse box
- hazard warning light

e.g.
https://www.europaspares.com/product/0/14808/Delta_Rocker_Switches.html

https://www.europaspares.com/product/75/17817/ELECTRICAL/SWITCHES/Led_Hazzard_Switch_Red___Wl4014.html
How can this work with just three terminals?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/rocker.php
this one has the correct number of terminals and i'm just thinking how to pad out the 20 x 50 mm original aperture.

I'm hoping someone else has had this dilemma and can advise. Seems to me a common problem developing. Switches for heated rear window, fog lights etc are easily got round with common basic one pole or double pole.

many thanks
Inglewood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a switch but with the incorrect size connectors, and you do not want to modify the vehicle loom, make up a short adapter loom using the necessarily male/female connectors.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using a relay with enough contacts to mimic the operation of the original switch. Then use the best aesthetic switch to turn the relay on.

As already suggested, create a small harness to join the existing connectors to the relay. Doing this would allow an original switch to be easily installed if/when found.
jessejazza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard lights--when unavailable for a certain - alternat Reply with quote

jessejazza wrote:
e.g.
https://www.europaspares.com/product/0/14808/Delta_Rocker_Switches.html

The Delta switches seem the best option as they are comprehensively available.

Good suggestion about the relay but i'm unlikely to get an original switch. At least the Delta range cover a good range and are likely to be available for some while yet.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 terminal switch is for a remote special relay.

The circuit is simple really and there are various alternatives.

What car have you got as all sorts of s/h ones turn up on Ebay
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
jessejazza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
What car have you got as all sorts of s/h ones turn up on Ebay

You'd laugh if i told you. I'm going to get the Delta switch as the aperture is the same as the brake test switch (which i've now done away with as i've fitted a single circuit system).

Delta switches are widely available for kitcars etc and the only alternative is SWF but they are much more expensive and not so readily available e.g. vehicle wiring but i don't know of anyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: