classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any Sunbeam Rapier Owners .?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Any Sunbeam Rapier Owners .? Reply with quote

Hello,
As a fan of Rootes cars I wondered if there were any Sunbeam Rapier owners on the forum.?

What great cars these are. I like the early Sunbeams.Humber Sceptre`s,1950`s Hillmans. Singer Gazelle`s etc.

I think they lost the plot when Chrysler took over..like a lot of car companies at the time.
I have a 1956 Hillman Californian....a convertible with a very nice roof on it. What a solid car these are.
The Humber Sceptre MK 1 is a go anywhere sort of car,200-300 miles a day no problem.

Gresham Flyer
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gresham,

Not a current owner but I enjoyed VWS 919 in the past.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/sunbeamrapier.htm

and

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/rootes.htm

One of my memories was of frequently being followed by a clatter and having to stop to recover a hubcap that had made a break for freedom. On one such occasion I had to apologise to the owner of taxi whose cab was stuck whilst waiting on an adjoining road.

Peter
Journer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have a rapier but I'm in the process of restoring a 65 Singer Vogue and yes I believe it went south with chrysler. I do like the rapiers, more so the earlier ones as they oozed style. Cheers!
vintageman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nice 1964 mark IV last week genuine 43K miles. Just having some seat belts made and a few minor jobs should see it ready for proper use although I've managed 400 miles already which is as much as its total annual mileage in some previous years.

Very pleased with its drivability; disk brakes,servo, and overdrive make for relaxed cruising

A bit sad today as I've sold my Mark VIII minx after 14 years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: