Joined: 15 Aug 2009 Posts: 412 Location: North Cornwall
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 pm Post subject: ASBESTOS WARNING
While restoring the replacement gas cooker for our 1960 Car Cruiser, I found that between the top of the oven and the outer panel, was a sheet of asbestos that was in a very poor crumbly condition, which is very dangerous, as it can give off dust and asbestos dust mixed in with your food isn't very good for you!!!!!
Taking suitable precautions, Army gas mask, paper overalls, gloves, goggles and wetting the asbestos very well, I removed it , wrapped it up in a sealed plastic bag and sent it on its merry way at our council depot.
The cooker was a Calor 500 made I believe from the mid 1950's to the 1960's. But the previous and next models used very much the same base unit So might have the same asbestos sheet in them.
If you have the same type of cooker I would think seriously about getting the asbestos out of it and disposed of.
I replaced the asbestos with fibre glass matting, with thick cooking foil to the heat side. Works a treat, if not better to keep the heat in the oven.
I don't want to be an alarmist, but thought you all needed to know. _________________ I can resist anything except temptation ! ( Oscar Wilde)
"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." ( Mark Twain)
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum