classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT (pass) and first drive in Hillman Minx Californian 1956.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: MOT (pass) and first drive in Hillman Minx Californian 1956. Reply with quote

[IMG]http://i369.[/IMGIMG].jpgIMG]
Hillman Minx Californian 1956 as found in a warehouse in South East London.It had been off the road for many years.But was all intact and the engine was not seized. Very Happy
[img][/img]
After much work which involved fabricating new inner and outer sills,inner and outer rear arches,splash panel repairs etc.This was only due to bodged previous repairs ,the bodywork is in very good original condition. The original paint was under the arches,it had not been coated in bitumen etc.Very Happy
[img][/img]
I have refitted brightwork etc,prior to topcoating,making sure everything fits perfectly.The engine and gearbox works fine,60 psi oil pressure,after a good grease up the steering and suspension was perfect.All lights and ancillaries worked on initial inspection.A new exhaust and other parts had been fitted prior to lay up. Surprised
[img][/img]
Glass,trim,brightwork etc is all present and intact and useable,where would you find a replacement rear screen Question
[[img][/img]
The interior seats and trim was filthy,but after a lot of elbow grease cleaned up very well.All switches and dials work fine.
New carpets are all that is required.
[img]
That lovely 1950`s dashboard. Exclamation People love to sit in it and reminisce about when their parents had similar cars. Very Happy
On Friday 13th August, (yesterday) I drove her to the MOT station and she passed without any problem.She drives really well,after getting used to a column gearchange (4 speed).
Now all that is required is to give her a nice topcoat of paint in her original colours.
It was supplied by J. Henry Roberts. Plas Garage Llangefni Anglesey in May 1956. 3 previous owners.
P.S. I would like to find better Hubcaps,Bumpers,Doorhandles and Grill if possible.Any help appreciated.
Gresham.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very neat car quite rare when new and even rarer now
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know how many were built,and how many survive. Very Happy
The Hillman club will tell you nothing unless you are a member,i found the person I spoke to very unhelpful. Confused

I am a member of enough clubs as it is.

Any other contacts please. Question

Gresham
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see it, look forward to seeing the old girl painted Smile

Thanks for the update

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
56cal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi great looking car, it looks better in primer than mine in top coat, just a couple of points the steering wheel is from a mk 3/4 minx ,the mark 8 should have a white wheel with just two solid "arms" and a chrome horn ring and the heater and the white knob on the side are also not standard Smile
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gresham flyer wrote:
The Hillman club will tell you nothing unless you are a member,i found the person I spoke to very unhelpful. Confused

Gresham

Totally agree. In the classic car world we are there to help each other, and you are far more likely to become a member if you are warmly received rather than being given the cold shoulder. Anyway, a lovely find and nice restoration. Many happy miles!
vintageman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - it looks very nice

I've just sold my Mark VIII saloon today as I've bought a Sunbeam Rapier coupe which is really a later californian.

Make sure you insert the gearbox dip stick in the right way round or it will rub against the gear cluster
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have I...brought a Sunbeam Rapier 1965 MK V1.

Similar styling to the Californian the Rapier....but more of these around than the former.
Work so far on the Rapier.....

Just fitted a new carpet set from Coverdale carpets.
Scrubbed and cleaned the interior.
Cut back and machine buffed the paintwork.
Fitted new number plates.
Removed and polished the door treadplates.
Mot for 12 months.
Serviced the car from top to bottom.
Etc Etc
Now she looks like a new pin.!!!

Gresham Flyer
vintageman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our rapiers are twins! Mine is 1964

Drove it back to the South Coast from Birmingham last week - a lovely drive

Current task is fitting retractor seat belts and a high level brake light, then wire in the clock and revcounter currently not working after a polarity change by the previous owner. oh! and fit carpet in the boot to protect the original rubber mats

The wheels fitted are wire but I have the originals and will be refurbishing them to return the car to normal spec.

Also need a radio!

Our first major outing will be Coventry festival of transport
vintageman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gresham

You will find it difficult,if not impossible to find a radiator grille. I do know somebody who got one from New Zealand but that was probably the last in captivity. The grilles all have poor chrome as the Canadian nickel miners went on a prolonged strike in 1955 and all Rootes chroming from that time was poor quality
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K.L heater was an aftermarket fitment at the time.
I also have one fitted in our Austin A30 from 1955.
I have seen them in many mid fifties cars...they needed to keep warm,even in those tough old days.

Gresham flyer
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anybody have the correct steering wheel.?

Gresham Flyer
welshrover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
gresham flyer wrote:

Gresham

Totally agree. In the classic car world we are there to help each other, and you are far more likely to become a member if you are warmly received rather than being given the cold shoulder. Anyway, a lovely find and nice restoration. Many happy miles!

im in the hillman owners club and dont find them very helpfull to be honest .dont think ill be rejoining next year. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: