classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Herald running problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, don't let one rude person put you off trying to help by offering advice.

I personally will not be replying to any of his posts unless he offers an apology to you.

Regards Kels.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Thanks Bitumin Boy!
I have to admit to "coffin-dodging" as I am just recovering from a stroke!
I also admit I am still a little confused and retaining the whole of your lengthy post in mind while adding to this thread was rather difficult at the time.
I have another loss of recall at the moment. I do not THINK you mentioned which Herald model and I cannot recall whether the Solex Carb. models had a hot spot between the manifolds. If yours does have it is worth checking for burning through.
I will sign off while I can still remember my name.
Jim.

I have just re-read your post and see it does have a Solex carb, so is probably a 1200 model.
Also looking back I see I am ridiculed for greasing trinnions on my Gentry/Vitesse. My late wife's Herald is parked outside with almost 100.000 miles on the clock. Those trunnions have only ever been greased too and never failed. Am I doubly lucky or have I used more suitable grease than some? Or could the fact that the steering lock has been reduced to relieve the massive strain on the trunnions have a bearing? No pun intended.

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles, Jim. We all screw up from time to time but it sounds like you had a better reason than most! I apologise for any offence I have given, though it sounds as if you took my last post in something close to the spirit in which it was intended. Keep dodging those coffins! You're right in thinking there's a hotspot between the manifolds, I've had a feel around and don't think it's the source of the trouble, but more of that anon. As to the trunnions, I think you've been very, very lucky, though I must confess to being mildly curious as to what grease you've used.

Kelsham, if you think that was angry then I'd better not tell you what I think of the Government, banks, police, job agencies, caravans, minority languages, the "new" Mini, library closures, petrol prices, Severn bridge tolls, supermarkets, insurance companies etc etc etc. Perhaps "coffin dodging" was the wrong phrase; given that age (young or old) is more about attitude than a number I think efforts to place an arbitrary age limit on pretty much any activity are pointless - but come on, at some point in your life you've spent ages explaining something to people who just don't appear to get it, haven't you?

As to the greasy bits, I've had almost no time to get into the garage. Jim's idea about the manifold hotspot was a pertinent one, as I've suspected the fault lies somewhere in the manifold, so in an attempt to settle it one way or the other, I've removed the rocker gear - so all the valves stay closed - and the carburettor (again), jacked up the back of the car to get things basically level according to a spirit level across the manifold, and carefully filled the manifold with paraffin. If the paraffin stays put I reckon I can rule out leaks around or damage to the manifold, if it leaks out it should pinpoint the trouble in doing so. I did test the valves with paraffin before fitting the head, so hopefully it won't all disappear into the cylinders and make a load of mess getting it out. Whatever the outcome, I doubt I'll have time before Tuesday to much about it Sad
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, spat over and all friends again.

I had a somewhat similiar problem when I had the unleaded conversion done to my Morris 1800.
As I removed the cylinder head I noticed the temperature sender was very vulnerable.

So I decided to remove it whilst the machining was being carried out.

When the head was put on I refitted the sensor and installed a new thermostat.

The car never seemed to run correctly afterwards. I had also fitted high compression pistons and changed to a suitable distributor. It would ocasionally cough when running at speed and spit back.

The sender had resented being disturbed and stopped sending messages to the gauge.

I ordered a new one and when fitted it read low. It was a different pattern to the one it replaced.

I contacted the supplier and he admitted that one or two others had experienced similiar problems and had complained. Most were satisfied.
I accepted the explanation. My car is an early model and probably needed an odd ball sender.

Kept investigating the poor running, eventually found that the new thermostat was stuck open. I replaced it and the problem was over.

Does your car recover when you pull the choke out? This was the clue that led me to the explanation. Gauge now reads correctly?

The other point is the replacement head. Are you sure it is identical to the one removed?

Kels.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, something to report on this one, having had some time to work on it!

Kelsham, whatever the problem turns out to be, it is at least warming up properly - registering on the gauge as normal and confirmed by the underbonnet temperatures while leaning over the engine scratching my head... As to the head, no, it's not exactly the same as the old one, though the difference by eye seems limited to having two core plugs in the rear end of the head instead of one larger one. Combustion chambers and valves look the same, though if I end up having it off again I will measure up and check. I did order the recon head according to the engine number on the block, so it should now be the right one for the engine - though whether the old one was right is anyone's guess, you know how things get swapped around on old cars. It isn't the original engine for my car, that was still just capable of moving under its own steam when it started knocking, and given the location of our garage, I wanted to keep it that way as long as possible, so I sourced another unit to rebuild - an 1147 from a mk1 Spitfire (by the engine no.) in a crumbling Herald that wore a 13/60 front end, though heaven knows what it started out as! I've tried giving it a bit of choke, it seems to help initially but not for long, if that makes sense.

Anyhoo, this week I finally got round to checking the timing. Not sure now whether it was out, as in attempting to check it for sure (by feel) I lost the previous setting Embarassed but found that the chain tensioner was completely knackered - after only around 5k miles, so I'm pretty narked about that - but it's easy enough to re-time from scratch, and at least it's not been a waste of time whatever the eventual outcome. I was initially worried in case the tensioner had failed due to lack of lubrication, but spinning the engine on the starter with the timing cover off resulted in a small oil slick on the garage floor, so it looks like it was just the usual lousy quality of remanufactured parts, it had the spring but not the hardness!

Currently waiting on parts, and not going to get anything much done again anyway with work so that's it for now. Hopefully an end is in sight, but if not the head will have to come off again Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bitumen Boy on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I forgot to mention the results of the paraffin test on the inlet manifold. I left the paraffin in for 4 days, during which time it lost maybe a little more than a tablespoonful. It hadn't leaked out around the manifold to head joint, nor had it got into the exhaust - I ran it to ground in the cylinders, about an equal amount in each. I'm inclined to think that small leakage of paraffin, past four inlet valves in four days, isn't terribly significant, though it beats me why it didn't leak the other way when I tested the valves prior to fitting the head Confused
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the timing reset with new chain and tensioner and have been on a couple of local test runs. It feels better, but not there yet - which is pretty much what I expected. While trying to set the timing I found I couldn't really turn the camshaft by hand, and to set it on #1 cylinder I had to remove pushrods 3-8, and I don't remember having trouble with this before. With the pushrods removed, the cam turns by hand no problem so it's either over-firm valve springs, one or more sticky valves or possibly a bit of both, so next time I can work on it it looks like the head is coming off again for further investigation and - hopefully - rectification. What fun Rolling Eyes
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the pushrods that were popping out in July?

Art
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only #1 pushrod that jumped out. It did it twice in quick succession, then nothing - yet... Know it's been a long time on the calendar, but actual garage time has been very limited Sad
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some progress to report on this. Had the head off again, and stripped it down. The springs are definitely firmer than original but there's also an obvious fault found - #1 valve is sticking. Not rock solid, doesn't take a hammer to move it, but definitely not right and it obviously isn't going to resolve itself. Question is what should I do now? The simple and obvious thing is to away back to the guys who supplied it, and let them sort it - and talk to trading standards if they don't play ball. But even if they are perfectly good about it that still means lots more time and hassle, and so if anyone has any clever ideas for freeing off one sticky valve I'm very interested to hear them!

I'm kicking myself now for not stripping and inspecting it before fitting, but I was pushed for time and thought "reputable supplier, won't be any trouble..." Evil or Very Mad
RUSTON

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the valve that is at fault or the guide? Try another valve in the guide, if that is free then it is the guide itself, then contact the supplier and give them some stick!

Pete.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought - will have a look later Smile
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a play and it would seem that the valve itself is at fault. I've tried #1 valve in the other 3 exhaust valve guides, and it binds to some degree in all of them. When I try the other 3 exhaust valves in #1 guide, however, they all run freely. I will be getting on to the suppliers as soon as I can find the invoice - know I put it away safely, just not 100% sure where... Rolling Eyes
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I phoned the suppliers yesterday and this morning a new valve and headgasket set arrived in the post, gratis - not that they would have gotten any more cash out of me for them! New valve is fine in the guide and now lapped in, but having to do the rest means my original aim of having it sorted for the weekend looks unlikely Sad

I'm not at all impressed with the standard of workmanship on this head, OK the valves didn't leak when I tested them with paraffin prior to the first fitting, but the exhaust valves and seats look very much as if they've been machine cut and not lapped with grinding paste at all, indeed if they had been lapped whoever was doing it would have noticed that sticky valve. The inlets are a bit better, but I still wouldn't be happy about refitting the head without doing some further work on them. If ever I did another unleaded conversion and went any distance for an exchange head I reckon I'd take my valve spring compressor and check it over in the car park before leaving... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: