classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Starter motor drive gear drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Starter motor drive gear drive Reply with quote

I have an interesting question re: starters and selecting the correct one if the original is missing.

My Aero Minx has a Lucas M418G with nine teeth on the drive gear driving an 80 tooth ring gear. It came with the car when I bought her. Another owner is asking me what starter to buy as he does not have one currently.

There are so many different starters out there with different ratings and gear drives I am not sure how to advise him

Before I suggest he just gets on like mine, is there a safer route he should take.

Can anyone suggest a course of action that will give him the best result please, i.e. is there a data base held by anyone out there that would tell us what we need to know?

Many thanks, Tim Green
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if this will help as it only goes back to 1946 and the post war Minx uses M35G and I think a 10 tooth pinion.
It covers both Lucas and CAV and you'll find application lists at the end of the Lucas section.
http://campkahler.com/files/Lucas-400e-to-N40-ocr.pdf

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that
Thanks very much for your help. The post war Minxes had the same engine so it should serve as well. I will decipher it later hopefully.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! That's some list; it puts paid to all those Ebay adverts that say "As fitted to many pre-war cars". the basic motor yes, but what chance a random starter has all those combinations of options right?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put links to some of the other sections of the Lucas parts book here:

http://www.jaguardriverforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
By finding the original part number for a later Minx in your list I then went on to Ebay and found someone selling a starter with a list of old starers that theirs is a legitimate replacement for. The Minx one was in that list so job done for £49:95!
Many thanks again, our French friends will be delighted. It does highlight how good our resources and connections are so good here.
Cheers,
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: