classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric cooling fan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Electric cooling fan Reply with quote

I wish to fit a switch into the circuit for the electric fan.

My idea is to be able to switch the fan on without waiting for the thermostat to kick in.

Also to be able to have the fan running on after the ignition has been switched off.

OK running on would be simple enough, take the feed from a non ignition feed.

Would it be OK to wire in a second feed, via a switch, to by pass the thermostat.

any thoughts please
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem RH. By "thermostat" I take it you mean heat sensitive switch that passes current at a given temperature? If so, just take a live feed (fuse-protected for preference) through a separate switch to the downstream terminal of the heat sensitive switch, or direct to the fan, whichever is more convenient.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alec.

I have a spare 'idle' fuse in the fuse block.

My reasoning is, hopefully, help prevent the problem with the dislike of standing in traffic jams, or a very slow pace of progress.

Last year I had a couple of occasions of stuck in stationary traffic, and the Thanet cruise at 15-20 mph was a nightmare, OK I sometimes switch off when standing if it looks like a long wait, this helps a little.

I will change the fan to the open circuit. but would like to run the fan for longer to bring the temp down a bit more if in a stop start situation, like queueing to access shows. One reason I like to get there early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: