classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MGB GT V8 build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is the weather is total sh*te in this country, I went home this weekend and was confronted with 2 days of 1.5ÂșC temperatures, bone cutting winds ands freezing rain. So this pit and garage floor are finally done and boy does it make a difference after 10 years of an earth floor!

I sliced my thumb open doing work on my brothers Alfa so wasn't best impressed, but got the MG over the pit on Saturday.

I have a source for stainless steel bolts now so replaced some of the old bolts and it looks much nicer.

A view from the pit

This shows the final part of welding that needs doing. The rear corner has some rust and at the same time dad is going to re-drill the centralised fuel tank location holes and weld on exhaust mounting brackets for the offside exhaust thats going to be fitted along with moving the filler hole 3 inches

1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is back in the garage after being removed to make space for other work

View of underneath

As I mentioned before, someone had cut the heater panel out of the car, is should look like this

So dad has been making a repair panel. It has had to be made in 3 pieces to fit it in there, the first part

This was replicated the other side before making a cardboard pattern for the main panel

Before a plate was made up

And fitted into the car

Thats been painted now and screwed/bonded in so all thats left to do now before the painting is centralising the fuel tank. I tried taking the wings off the donor car but the bottom edge thats normally screwed on has been welded, so they will need grinding. Just out of interest as i've been stripping my old MGB (the donor car), i've realised how rusty it was, here are some pics.

JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a lot of rot Sad keep the pictures coming Smile
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my dad, he is so awesome. Along with 1. Finding a new car for me to replace my BMW urgently and 2. Working on some cooling system changes and engine maintainence on my superkart, he has found time to finish the welding on the MGB!!!

Rear quarter, seam sealed

Heater bulkhead now fitted. Anyone know where I can get some dumdum sealing compound?

The filler neck for the fuel tank relocated. There was a slight error with this so dad inserted a blank plate with a hole then welded the original fuel filler hole onto that. It gave him some more spexibility with movement along with better strenth.

Underneath

One of the fuel tank tabs had to be cut down to fit too.

All that needs doing now is the welds cleaning up around the light area on that side and it can be painted!
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final welding is done, but unfortunately this project is being held up by the weather as I need some dry warm days to paint it, so until we get that I can't do much.

As a side note, i'm looking to move nearer home after the summer to get this, and my Anglia rebuilt in the next year
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welshie wrote:

unfortunately this project is being held up by the weather as I need some dry warm days to paint it, so until we get that I can't do much.

Nice for you, that the welding is finished Cool

We had sun yesterday, but now its back to normal summer weather = Grey sky & rain , heard you guys in UK have the same Sad
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things holding the project up before the respray has ben the final shaping of the scuttle where it meets the wing tops. The wings from the donor car looked better than the ones that came with the new shell so I wanted to use them, but they were welded to the sill instead of being attached by the usual self tapping screws. Being in a polytunnel meant we couldnt grind them off so we got a chance on the weekend to look at them. The drovers side came off with a few small holes drilled, the passenger side was cut as close to the base as possible

Both wings are pretty tidy amd more importantly, are unrepaired originals. The others are rubber bumper items with bodged repairs so i'm glad I swapped them. They just need some localised repairs.

Upon removing them, it showed just how far gone the donor car was:

Hope to have more progress soon...
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a V8 engine, 3.9 litres Very Happy

Bargain off eBay as it had no picture, but the description was detailed enough I was happy it was good. It had done 90,000 miles in a Range Rover and the guy threw in some extras and delivery too.

I will be using a carburettor so wont be needing the injection system. I want to rebuild it so first job was to strip and check it:

No need for the wiring loom

Looking clean so far

Bores are all good Smile

Stripped as much as I could over the weekend

Next job is to find somewhere I can dip the block to clean it as, coming from a 4x4 it was quite dry and dusty/muddy
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
But now its back to normal summer weather = Grey sky & rain , heard you guys in UK have the same Sad

We invented it Laughing Laughing

That MG is comeing along well, Long job still by the looks.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here are some photos of the wing fitment issues. You can see that the wing is being held out slightly but I can't take much more off the scuttle material. Of course when the wings are bolted on they will be held tighter and i;m replacing the lead beading with rubber beading so that will give some more flexibility in fitment etc.

As you can see, the nearside wing needs some scuttle profiling to fit....i'm sure each wing is different!!!

The final bit of shaping work needed will be cleaning up this repair...but I need it out of the tunnel before I can grind that.

Now onto the engine, the heads look in good order but need a clean up

However, when i had my original 3.5 engine, I bought these off a friend as an upgrade. They are 3.9 heads but also have a hole plugged off by the exhaust ports which i was told was an air injection port? These heads have been cleaned and seem in excellent condition but i'm not sure if, given that plugged hole, will be as good as the original heads, ideas?

3xpendable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is slow due to the weather at the moment and other work being in the garage, plus my brother has found his shell again so has decided to do work on that instead of the MGB...you very much have to get him in the right mood Wink

Engine looked good though the big-end journals at the back of the engine have some scoring

The accompanying bearings.

Given that further forward you went, the better the bearings were, seems to indicate its been starved of oil a bit maybe at some point. It may be ok but to be sure i'm getting the crank checked and ground if needs be. The shells were the originals so I have oversize to work with.

Looking pretty clean

Now its ready for cleaning before I buy new bits and put it back together. In the mean time I decided to measure up and look at the new front cover I will be fitting. This came off my 3.5 litre engine (see earlier) from a Rover P6 and had the short nose pulleys and covers that are required for the V8 MGB install. I've been told they bolt on but the engineer in me and my dad wanted to check everything first.

On the left is the cover removed from the 3.9 and on the right is the cover I want to fit.

The main difference is on the later one the oil pump is internal and driven directly by the crank (its casing can be seen held by the cross head screws) and the earlier one has a completely different and external oil pump that has a long shaft thats driven by the distributor, which is turn is driven by a gear on the camshaft. Dimensionally the distributors are the same and have the same pitch on the teeth but the earlier one has the slot in the bottom for the oil pump drive shaft. This is removeable so I can fit it to the newer distributor if I choose to use it.

Closer view of the older cover oil pump

I need to clean this up and fit a new seal in before using it, along with driving out a snapped bolt which will be fun. Slow and steady will be the way me thinks.

The only other question I have now is about the front pulley. Both the 3.5 and 3.9 cranks are the same shank length (70mm for pulleys, drives etc). Now, the stack-up of all the components on the 3.9 engine make 70mm considering the timing gear drive, a small spacer, the cover seal and oil pump drive and finally the pulley. Bearing in mind the older casing is about 25mm shallower given it just has a crank seal and no oil pump it means in theory that the older front pulley should too be about 25mm longer to take up this clearance but its not, its about 10mm short. Its been ages since I stripped the 3.5 and cannot remember if there is some sort of spacer to take this clearance up or if there is just a 10mm or so gap between the timing cover and the pulley? I will look through my old pictures tonight and also go through all the parts I saved from the 3.5 next time i'm home. But some food for thought for anyone who's done this before.
Farmer John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Rover block Reply with quote

Hi Welshie,
Now is a good time to check whether any main caps have been "squirming". Look for shiny pattern on mating surfaces of cap and block, can happen to some of these, no simple repair.

John
3xpendable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do John, thanks
ts210

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: MGB Reply with quote

Welshie, you're an inspiration!
As a fellow welshman about to embark on a very similar journey with a 1971 Roadster!
I'm in Swansea where are you, i'd love to meet up and ask you loads of stuff!!! Keep up the good work BRILLIANT Smile
3xpendable

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MGB Reply with quote

ts210 wrote:
Welshie, you're an inspiration!
As a fellow welshman about to embark on a very similar journey with a 1971 Roadster!
I'm in Swansea where are you, i'd love to meet up and ask you loads of stuff!!! Keep up the good work BRILLIANT Smile

John, checked the caps and everything is fine. Just having fun trying to find a flywheel at the moment.

Hi ts, I haven't visited here for ages unfortunately but I saw your thread, very nice. Thanks for the compliments, I have a few more details to add to my thread but this summer is when I hope to really get into it. I'm based in Cardiff right now but regularly head back to Pembrokeshire to work on the car. Anything you want to know, give me a buzz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: