classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Introduction of "Horace" the Morris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Introduction of "Horace" the Morris. Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a new member of the forum and I have joined primarily to find a source of Whittle belting for My 1925 Morris Cowley 2str. This belting comes in endless lengths and is made up of steel links with leather "Cheeks" and steel screws. It has a "V" section and comes in various sizes. I´m looking for either the original type or something that would look period, perhaps rubber section belting that is rivetted or screwed together. Any ideas anyone? Idea
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum!

Is this the belting that was used in early fan belts, ie adjustable for length? if you have a picture of the stuff you're looking for, by all means post it here (and a pic of the car if possible!!! Very Happy ) I have an old piece hanging up in the garage but have never needed to find new for any of my cars. Have you tried websites such as the Complete Automobilist?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re "Whittle belting" Reply with quote

Thanks for your ideas Rick. I don't have any of this belting to take a photo of but will try and post a web-cam type photo of Horace. I'm a member of the Bullnose Morris club too so they may have some pointers.Cheers for now and I'll let you know how I get on.
All the best,
Nick.
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st attemt at posting photos as promised. Sorry Rick, I didn't answer your question properly. Yes, the Whittle belting comes in continuous lengths which you make up to the appropriate size using the screws that hold it together. I had a 1929 4 door Cowley and that car brought me down to S.Spain without even a puncture, using this type of belting which had seen a lot of use before I bought the car from the first owner in 1965. In all it did 3 round trips London-Malaga-London, all on the same belt! I shall now try to upload the Photos.
Cheers,Nick.

Have found a pic of belting on eBay which is too wide for me but is the same stuff.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's correct to use the term 'Pretty' about a motor car but that one is, a lovely little car.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick

The belt you are looking for is made by a company called Brammer. They have a website that you can find on Google that shows a branch in Spain.

The belting is available at "Power Transmission Distributors" in the UK in a variety of widths to suit your pulleys.
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Belting "Horace" Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for those kind words Old Nail! Horace is well chuffed!
And thanks to Brian-M for the information about the belting. I've sent an email to the Seville branch of Brammer's and hopefully will get a reply soon. I Will post an update when I have news of the belts they can supply.
All the best to all those watching"Horace".
Nick.
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Quest for belt for Horace. Reply with quote

The seville branch of Brammer's didn't even have the decency to reply, although the have read my email. I think they are only interested in supplying huge amounts of overpriced stuff to industry. I'll go back on their website and find another branch to ask. Any other suggestions anybody?
All the best,
Nick.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, how did you get on with your search?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
I am just the other side of Malaga , in Nerja, so we are about 90 mins away. Would love to make contact. My E Mail address is ye004r79@telefonica.net We arrange regular meetings along the coast and there is a meeting in Gibraltar coming up in the middle of June.
Regards
Mauricio Yeo
Nick Wadham

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Fanbelt for "Horace" Reply with quote

Hi Rick.
No progress as yet. The car runs ok with a wide conventional "V" belt but the engine would look much better with the original Whittle belting. I can understand this not being available anymore 'cause it´s rather anticuated and probably rather labour intensive to make. I will eventually get round to having another look around, when work and other projects allow.

!Buenas tardes Mauricio!
Thanks for sending your email. I will be in touch.

All the best to you both,
Regards,
Nick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: