classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration of Rover 1947 Sports Saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alan56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Restoration of Rover 1947 Sports Saloon Reply with quote

hi all i have recently bought a rover 1947 in need of restoration here are some pics before i started

now the fun stuff took all the insides out running boards off and panels off doors and found the rust and rot ( lol ) tomorrow i start welding here is what i found

michael1703

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats quite a lot of work, hope youre good with a welder! i'd send that straight to the shot blasters
P3steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember restoring a car is just like eating an elephant, dont worry about the whole thing just take it one bite at a time. If you cut around the sills make sure you brace across the A,B and C post with some angle iron so you dont loose the door gaps, might be a good idea to do the doors first and trile refit them that way you will know that there right when you come to rebuilding the base of the posts and the sills. Keep us updated. Regards Steve
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it'll be well worth the effort! Do you know much of its history?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alan56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thank you for your welcome to the site i have worked it out to be about 8 hours of welding not mig welding gas welding that way i can warm and shape the metal at the same timethe only history i know is that the man i bought it from had it on the road last in 1997 and left it on his drive for the last 10 years chassis looks like new the engine turns over not started it yet got reciepts totaling over £5000 including the reciept of what he paid i paid £750 for it and came with spare engine and box new set of carpets couple of doors 3 spare rads and a new mig welder sip migmate 150 3 new running boars and a few boxs of spares
regards alan
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan56 wrote:
the man i bought it from had it on the road last in 1997 and left it on his drive for the last 10 years

I guessed it had been standing outside somewhere for a few years by the pictures. Good luck with the welding, that looks like a hell of a lot of work. HNG is a Norfolk registration.
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

welcome to the forum alan,major welding there but it`s a great challenge to get roadworthy. i remember restoring one in the 60s--same problems with the door bases,ended up and fabricating with a timber frame and reshaping the timber to suit ! worked out well in the end---good luck with the resto..

Cheers---Ray the Rocker...
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alan, It's good to see another P2 on the forum. You have your work cut out with that one, keep posting plenty pictures as you sort it out.

According to the DVLA site your 12 was last liable for road tax 1st Feb 1995

Here are a couple of 1946 brochure pages for the 12hp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: