classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

55mph US speedos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: 55mph US speedos Reply with quote

The speedo in my Chrysler 300 will not read higher than 55MPH. I have a faint recollection that this was due to legislation in the 1970's, when the "double nickel" was introduced. Is there anyone out there that knows how the speedos were modified, so that I can reverse the changes?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe
I've never heard of speedo's that wouldn't read beyond 55.
The only thing the factories did was to highlite the 55 in red or something to that effect. The speedo's would still wind past 55 until they bottomed out at 85, 110, 120, or 160 depending on year or manufacturer.

Sounds like you may have a problem with your speedo or someone pinned it not to read beyond 55.
Does your car have cruise control? Maybe the cruise transducer is locked into that speed???
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuchamp,

I'm hoping to be able to do a few jobs on the car tomorrow, so if I get the chance, I'll have a look if I can see any speedo changes. I have to look at the gas gauge anyway, when it shows 1/4 its empty, and when it shows 1/2 its full!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: