classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Cortina MK2 1600 GT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ford Cortina MK2 1600 GT Reply with quote

Hello all....being a mobile mechanic can be enjoyable sometimes, seeing a poorly beast up and running correctly once more is always a feelgood state of mind Smile . However, more and more cars arent cars these days, more like laptops on wheels Sad , and without google search close by to sort out computer and ECU problems can be a nightmare Shocked and very frustrating Evil or Very Mad ! But every now and again, something a little bit special comes my way and today was certainly a little bit special to say the least Very Happy ....

A Ford Cortina 1600 GT....

Completely unmolested and virtually original.. Very Happy

A lovely beast indeed! It`s been off the road for 3 years due to one thing or another, and failed its MoT on tyres,clogged washers and brakes binding. No real surprise I guess, three stationery years will allow many things to seize up..so, to business!

Careful now! I looked for the slot in the rimbellisher to insert the screwdriver to prise (and catch! Laughing ) the hubcap.. jacked up and wheel removed..

A flat blade screw..normally cross point or torx these days, refreshing change!

Yep, pretty rusty in there. The shoes were good though and not contaminated..

The self adjuster was seized, but with a judicial application of God in a tin ( WD 40 Laughing ) and copperease grease on its threads, was soon as free as a bird.. Smile

The drum, not surprisingly, was pretty rusty and dirty Sad ..

Better! Coarse sandpaper followed by wet and dry works wonders! A tickle up of the adjuster, wheel back on, exactly the same on the other side too..

Even after manually adjusting the rear brakes, the umbrella handbrake was coming out too far in my mind, so a little tightening of the cable was in order to take up the slack. Someone in the distant past had had the foresight to grease eveything up Shocked , so adjustment wasnt a problem..and imperial 7/16" ! No metric here, thank you!

A similar story on the front disc brakes too ( yes, discs..GT!..). The discs and pads were in pretty good shape, but the pistons were all but seized in the callipers, as were the pads. Patience Rolling Eyes , clean brake fluid application to the pistons under the rubber gaitors and a fair amount of easing them back, brake pedalling them out, easing back etc soon had all working smoothly once more. Copper grease on the pad backing, top and bottom too and all back together..

Dropping the jack, I had this lovely sight Razz , and had a further look round the the old beast

Hiding! The original glass bowled fuel pump, remove the bowl, clean the mesh filter and refit....those were the days Laughing !

The strut tops were in very good condition Shocked and certainly wont need welding anytime soon. Well, job done, so....time for a test drive! DEFINITELY needed...who wouldnt want to have this view, sitting behind that wheel Cool ?

I turned the key and she started instantly, off we went, gingerly avoiding potholes, getting the feel of her...and she went beautifully. I didnt push the old lady but even light pressure on the accelerator gave instant response, and it wouldnt surprise me if even now, 43 years after it was built, it would give many laptops a run for their money! Thanks for reading this indulgent rambling effort, next time it`ll probably be Bertie`s MoT, but a 25 mile run may be happening at the end of the month c/o the local sidevalve club...and he`s invited Smile ! Catch you all soon.... Laughing
imfinlay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gem! My dad had an F-reg 1600E - I think the ones with the raised instrument pod were one or two years only, anyone confirm that?
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an F reg 1967 1600E (my first car) that had the raised centre clocks I think they were inset lower down on E's and GT's from mid 1968 onwards
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!

The competition from BMC, Rootes and GM really had to get the finger out when Ford brought out the GT Cortinas.

Peter
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, great condition especially as you say its original!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper time warp.
Lovely.
I bet some modern cars wouldn't take standing idle for three years as well as that has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: