classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

HELP! Bedfordshire Trimmers - Any Recommendations???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Minty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: HELP! Bedfordshire Trimmers - Any Recommendations??? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a lovely, original interior in my '38 Lanchester LA14/2 - but the cotton stitching on my drivers seat squab has come away all around the leading edge of the seat-base...but as it is SO original, I neither want, nor can I really afford, to have the seat retrimed - but I do want to get the squab properly repaired - however, I can't find anybody near me who can do it/wants to do it - especially at a realistic price and in a reasonable time frame. (one trimmer told me that my only option was to have it recovered at a cost of about £700 and that it wouldn't be done 'til at least the end of July... Crying or Very sad )

Do any of you guys know anyone who is both able to do it reasonably quickly - and is not going to try to rip me off whilst doing so???

I wanted to get my car back on the road this summer, but its looking unlikely now - especially if I have to pay out hundreds extra just to have my seat re-stiched! Sad

HELP!!!!

Regards - Guy.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
2 things, are the holes still intact or has the cotton puled through the leatrher?

and you will probably have to take the cover of the frame and filling, so as to be able to stitch from inside.

http://www.sikisoko.com/knowhow/topic/9?PHPSESSID=9g9cn5tjr58f7hikhls9or4e91

Some ideas here how to do it.
If you don't want to tackle it yourself
As an alternative to an upholsterer, do you have a proper cobbler/shoemaker locally?
They will know about stitching leather.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Minty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Penman,

No - the holes havn't pulled through, although the leather is a tad harder than I would have liked (but still good considering its age) but I have been told that as the leather has stretched with use, it would be possible to 'pull' the leather a little tighter and then re-stitch a little further up the cushion instead...

I still can't find anyone to do it for me though! Crying or Very sad

Guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: