classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radiator re-core / Upgrade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Radiator re-core / Upgrade Reply with quote

The radiator on the DLM is in need of repair,
It has sprung a few leeks, Looks like three tubes blown.

Because it is three tubes and the age of the Radiator, and being stood for 30+ years, I feel a re-core the best option.

I have heard that a radiator can be uprated.
How is this done, and what changes are involved to the original.

There is no room to enlarge the dimensions of the unit in any way.
I fact it is such a close fit in the nose I envisaged have to lift the body to remove it, thankfully it practically fell out.

The Radiator on the DLM, like most of the car is hybrid to the car so a replacement is out of the question.

Roger
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a removeable ordinary type radiator not forming part of an outer radiator grille, i.e.. a bog-standard rad like you find in Cortinas and just about everything else, then you will find that a replacement core is available which has more rows of cooling tubes, and therefore more cooling fins, than those available in earlier days; also thinner tubes so that more will fit in the same length of core. So more cooling efficiency is available from the same core size.
As an example, the Riley RM rads are being re-cored these days using the more efficient core, for around £150-£200 all in.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As uncle Alec says.
I had my 2 minis done, originally they were 2 rows but had them re cored to 3 rows and the same original dimensions were kept but its much more efficient now on the standard mini the temperature sits slightly below normal and on the custom one it just sits on normal.
I have also fitted 2 external electric fans which I switch on from inside the car whilst in traffic and this helps too especially in our hot summer.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
Have heard a few times on other forums about others having upgrades.

Will take the plunge Smile and have it done.
The only time the DLM gets hot enough for the fan to kick in is in Traffic.
Even so as the Rad needs repair might as well get an upgrade at the same time.

Other comitments at the moment so not sure when I'll be mobile again Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and with all this fine weather. aaaggghhh.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gentry has a re-cored (BMC) mini radiator with a longer core and I think (because it was done over 20 years ago) an extra row of tubes. It has proved well capable of handling a Triumph 2000 engine. Even towing caravans all over the Country. Even in heatwaves (yes we HAVE had one or two in the last twenty years!). In spite of it being partly hindered by an oil cooler rad. just in front of it.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: