classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1914 Cheswold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Barrie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: 1914 Cheswold Reply with quote

Hello all, i'm a newby on here having had the forum recommended to me via the Hilux Pick up Owners Club forum.

Our family own a 1914 Cheswold car built in Doncaster, S/Yorks. I understand it is one of only about a hundred cars built by E.W Jackson at their factory. It was originally bought new by my wifes great, great grandad and then bought back in the 1980's by her father. It was last driven in the mid eighties and for now is in the care of Doncaster museum.

We do have a file of information on the car but i am keen to expand this and gather together as much documentation, pictures and history of the car as i can. I'm looking forward to reading about other vintrage cars and how hopefully gather hints and advice on collating the above info.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Barrie. I'm afraid I can't offer any knowledge of your Cheswold but it certainly looks a fabulous item. Do you have any photos of it out and about or detail views of it?

Peter

Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barrie.

I see that the Sheffield Archives hold quite a few documents and also at least one photo of the Cheswold Ambulance. You may of course be aware of this.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=199-sy315b&cid=-1#-1
Salopian

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a quick check in my reference books -
Built between 1911-15 by E W Jackson & Sons Ltd Doncaster to a design by M C Inman Hunter the previous chief designer for Adams-Hewitt. The name is apparently derived from a local stream!
Engine/gearbox made in house 2612cc 15.9hp 4 cylinder but axles by Wrigley.Only the one model offered a tourer but some bodied as Ambulances etc.
There is a picture of a tourer reg C 4849 very similar if not identical to this one.
I expect none of this is new to Barrie anyway but what a nice thing to have especially with the family connection. Time it was fetched out and fired up!

Edited to add Wrigleys supplied components such as axles etc to many car constructors.
Barrie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and s links chaps Smile

I am planning to contact/visit the Sheffield and Doncaster archives where infor is held on the car etc.

I have discovered that in 1912 when my wifes great great grandad Frederick Theaker bought the care they were being sold £450. I haven't done the inflation maths from then till now but i'm sure it was a significant amount of money nearly a hundred years ago! The Cheswold was the first car in Hemsworth where he lived, and we still do, and he couldn't drive. He sent John Willie Nobes, one his farm employees, to the E.W Jackson and Son factory to be taught to drive. When the car broke down they pulled it back to the factory in Doncaster by horse for repair.

When the car was sold in 1957 it was lost to the family. My father in law traced the car and bought it back in 1985. It was shown on our local news chanel "Calendar News" being driven by my father in law. I'm looking for this news clip!
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£450 in 1912 is the equivalent of £38,250 today.

Re your query of vehicle registration documents as you have the registration mark and vehicle details you can apply to DVLA for a V5C.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that Frederick Theaker died in 1922, leaving an estate of some £7600 equivalent to approx £260k in today's value.
Barrie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm interesting. £38K in todays £ seams alot of money to spend on car when your estate is worth £260K. Unless of course Frederick went on a spender before he died!...can't fault him
Bluesbreaker

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

nice car!

I wonder if the Cheswold company had anything to do with Renault at that time? The hood seems to be very much alike an about 1914 Renault?

Niko

Saab 96 V4 1973
Saab 96 V4 1974
Saab 96L V4 Super 1977
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bluesbraker. Well spotted. Cheswold did have some collaboration with reno and i think much of the cars styling is similar to reno of the time. As a coincidence where the factory was in Doncaster is now a shopping centre called..."Frenchgate" Very Happy
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrie. Frenchgate likely has a history that is much older than Renault.
having being named after French speaking Normans who settled in that part of medieval Doncaster.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although production of the "Cheswold" had ceased, these adverts dated 1920 - 1923 show that the E.W Jackson Engineering works, at Cheswold Works, continued to maintain links with motor vehicles.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/E._W._Jackson_and_Son

An image of what is described as a 1912 Cheswold. It does have an earlier look to it and even an earlier number plate.. 5 ?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MHV_Cheswold_15-9_hp_1912.jpg
Barrie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. Yes your probably right re the "Frenchgate" name, i had just noticed the coincidence with the name and Cheswolds connections with Reno.

I like the engineering adverts, i'll try to enlarge and print off. The picture of the Cheswold looks much like our car with the roof down to me. I think the "C" reg mark ran from 1904 to 1912. I believe our car is 1912, not the 1914 i was initially told.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting thread.

If the car was bought for £450 , todays money £38k ish

Out of interest whats the cars value today as it is so rare,
and I bet only handful left.

Do you know actually how many more are left?
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Car-nut. Its my first thread and ive had lots of advice and help. The amount of time and effort that hasbeen put into the information i've had is generous and most kind.

As far as i'm aware it is the only remaing Cheswold car remaining. I think its a special thing to have it owned by direct decendents of Frederick who bought it new.

I'm not sure about its market value today....guess some of the guys on here might be better informed than me at the moment. Whatever the value our plan is to keep it, feels like we are looking after it as a piece of history rather than owninga car!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: