classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Slight rust on rings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Slight rust on rings? Reply with quote

My engine is ready to be resembled with its new rings. However the oil rings are new old stock and have some minor rusting, the rusting is not on the wear point of the rings to the bores. to be cleaned up prior to installation. To have new oil rings made would cost about 300 pounds so I have decided to use the new old stock items. Am I being stupid?
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't worry seeing as they will be getting a good oiling when your motors running.
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: rusty rings Reply with quote

Maybe just rub off what rust you can, with a bit of wet and dry. Otherwise, as Victor says, don't worry, use them.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the reassurance, the rust is really very minimal and the oil rings are perfect in every other way. So a quick clean and use. Thanks again. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: