classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Amps flowing through Fuel Gauge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Mello

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Amps flowing through Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Anybody know roughly how many amps would be flowing through a 6V Ford Pop fuel gauge (when it's working, which mine isn't)? Sad
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm assuming it will be a moving iron gauge, in which the gauge will have a "B" connection ; goes to the battery via the ignition , and a "T" connection this goes to the tank sender?

If so to test:

Check that you have 6V on the B terminal with the ignition on.

There are 2 coils in the gauge; a control coil and a deflecting coil, reason for control coil is that without it the fuel gauge would read different readings as the battery voltage varied.

You can check the continuity of the coils with an ohm meter, firstly measure between B & T, this will give you the resistance of the control coil, the measure between T & the gauge case, if the gauge is faulty you probably wont get a reading on one of these coils; ie its open circuit. I dont know what the readings for your gauge should be, but as long as the readings are not either 0 or infinity, the gauge is probably good.

If all the above is ok the fault is going to be in either the wiring to the tank sender or the tank sender its self. Again you can measure the resistance to test it, When Empty the sender should read ) ohms on full typical 80 ohms but will depend on the design and I've not expirience of the Ford set up.

The current will vary with the level in the tank, but will be at a maximum when the tank is empty, and I'd expect it to be no more than 100mA

Hope this helps

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: