classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

new to restoration, advice with tool selection please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
turfer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: new to restoration, advice with tool selection please. Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to car restoration and would welcome some advice about choosing tools such as a compressor and welder, new or secondhand ? I hope to gain experience of restoration work (welding, bodywork, spraying etc) on a salvagable mini before moving on to something like an MG Magnette. I am thinking Machine Mart for the welder and compressor( local and convenient) but which ones? Or should I look elsewhere? Proper spaygun or HVLP system ? What do I need to remove rusty bodywork ? So many questions !
RobMoore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
You can get a wealth of advice regarding welders from here: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php
think there is also some info on compressors there also.
Most people claim that you need a 150 welder or better but I have managed to make do with a 90, sure its not as powerfull.
My compressor is the one from Aldi thinks its 9.5cfm and I have sprayed my minor completely without issue but again people state bigger is better and that is indeed true if funds allow. but if your on a shoestring like me than you can manage with smaller.
If you going for machine mart stuff wait till they have their VAT free days usually every couple of months and or keep an eye on ebay.
If i had a good budget I would get these
Compressor: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-tiger-14100-3hp-portable-v-twin-air-co/path/airmaster-2
Welder: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/150te-turbo-mig-welder/path/diy-mig-welders
turfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, I will go to Machine Mart at the weekend and have a look.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had no real trouble using a Clarke 90-amp welder as opposed to something bigger.

On compressors, get the biggest you can afford and house. I got a 50-litre 3hp compressor after being advised to avoid the smaller ones, and that does spend quite a lot of time rebuilding or maintaing pressure, where something with a larger tank would be able to cope better. I think that applies more to air tools rather than spraying, though.

I wasn't intending to buy any air tools, just got the compressor for a specific job. Then Aldi popped up with their bargain stuff with 3-year warranties, and now I've got more than I intended. I mean, a 3" cut-off tool for £6.99, you can't not buy it really.
turfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aldi deal sounds great, I will get over there asap. It sounds like a 100 litre, 3hp compressor might be the way to go if funds permit. There is a Clarke 150T mig coming up on ebay this weekend, its only 5 minutes from me so I will probably have a bid on that. Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: