classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Land Rover 2a Marshall bodied field ambulance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevanf1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Land Rover 2a Marshall bodied field ambulance Reply with quote

Here are some pic's of my latest (vehicle) project. 3 years ago I purchased a Land Rover series 2a Marshall bodied field ambulance. I don't as yet know its military history but I shall send off for those details at some point. My intention is not to restore to 'as original' as I first have no intention of doing that because I am not a military vehicle enthusiast as such. Mainly though because there is not much left of the original ambulance interior fittings anyway. I shall make a day van out of it with fishing in mind. I aim to upgrade where I can to modern fittings and fixtures for comfort and safety.

Side ways view.

Front view. My wife had to get in on the act while washing my daily car.

Latest work on it. The driver side front dumb iron was rotted through at the front.

So I repaired it. Those two tubes take the bolts for the front bumper and have to be substantial as they take the tow points.

I had to build up the top side pieces so just cut out sheets of 3mm mild steel and drilled appropriately.

The finished repair (at an angle sorry) with front and top plates replaced again with 3mm mild steel.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get your wife to wash 'your' car?

My wife of almost 49 years has only ever washed her own car twice and never mine!

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
kevanf1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
How did you get your wife to wash 'your' car?

My wife of almost 49 years has only ever washed her own car twice and never mine!

Ha, ha, you must be doing something wrong then mate Wink

Actually, it's only because of boring health reasons that I can't do it.... the same reason it takes me for ever to do jobs on my Landy. Such is life Smile

Take care mate.

Kevan
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Does it still have the normal military fuel filler under the drivers seat or has it been relocated behind that flap on the O/S?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
kevanf1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Penman. It would originally have had two fuel tanks, one under each seat. At some time prior to it coming into my possession the tank under the driver side has been removed. It does still have the tank under the passenger side though. I found the pipe work still in place for the driver side tank and it still has the changeover valve fitted.

My intention is to remove the passenger tank as it is awkward and more than a little annoying to have to mess about removing the seat, not to mention the passenger Smile when I have to refill. I'm seriously considering fabricating a tank to sling underneath between the chassis rails. I can thus lower the centre of gravity (if only by a small amount), have a larger tank and make life a lot easier for myself. It will also mean I can fit a set of Discovery seats that I have and fabricate side entry lockers underneath them.

I have looked at proper 109" underbody fuel tanks and I'm not too happy with them. They are fitted too far back from the rear axles for my liking and I have been told by more than one person that they do adversally affect handling (it's already a bit wobbly with that big heavy ambulance body on it). The one I intend to make will be mounted as centrally as I can get it. Either that or I shall make two tanks and have one for fresh water and make sure they are balanced out. That's the least likely outcome though as I can't ever see us using the vehicle for long term outings.

Take care.

Kevan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: