classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sir Stirling Moss. Retires at 81
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Sir Stirling Moss. Retires at 81 Reply with quote

A legend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13721531.stm
poodge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that Sir Stirling has made up his own mind,without pressure from authorities or other people.
He can now retire with grace.
I remember even when I was a kid,in the 50's,if you were caught going fast,whether it was on bike,or even on foot,the standard question was;"who do you think you are,Stirling Moss?"
Even though not especially interested in motor racing at that time,everyone knew Stirling Moss.
May he enjoy a long and happy retirement.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Peter!
I remember some years ago that a TV company arranged for Stirling Moss to drive a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost as the bridal car at a wedding.
I used to quite frequently drive a 1927 SG and with its crash gearbox it was quite an art to change gear quietly and smoothly.
I watched the transmission, thinking "Now let's see how good you are".
Beautiful smooth gear-changes with not a click. Not bad in a strange car!
Always a fan of his, I still remember exactly where I was when I heard of his horrific GP crash on the radio.
Jim.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he went to qualify in the Le Mans Legends race but could hardly walk to his car then did a single slow lap before returning to the pits saying that he had frightened himself and was a liability to other drivers.

A slightly sad end to a distinguished career but he will always be remembered as a gentleman racing driver and probably the greatest ever ambassador for his sport.

Have a long retirement Sir Stirling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: