classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re chroming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
clascar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re chroming Reply with quote

I have just found out that my local refinishers, Nyphos at Crewe no longer plate cast ally items (mazak or monkey metal). He tells me that there is so much work in trrying to get rid of the pits. The results are usually so disappointing that he no longer takes this type of job on.

I can sympathise with him, I had a couple of door handles done last year and the pits could still be seen.

Does anyone know of other platers in the North West that still does this type of work, or anyone who does the new chrome painting system.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would they plate mazak if you filled the pits in first ?

Dave
clascar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is Dave, it would have to be something that would plate, similar to the stuff it is made of
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Plating & monkey Metal Reply with quote

I'm just keeping an eye on home plating kits, as I think I will need one for my current re-build. As part of this, I phoned up and had a chat with a guy from Gaterous. I believe he said that he would....

(1) Strip the plating from the pot metal

(2) Flash coat with neutral Nickel strike coat.

(3) Copper plate

(4) Fill voids with solder and polish back to be smooth

(5) Plate with replica chrome.

I would just double check before doing anything, but I think the jist of it is to get a good copper plate and then fill the holes with solder.

Hope this is some help.

Mark
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting as I have the same problem with the Morris 8 bonnet emblem.

This was my thinking..... with old Mazak castings ; small pits could be polished out, larger pits soldered (Carrs make a zinc rich solder that claims to solder Mazak)

My Morris 8 grill is chromed brass and has soldered brackets on it (soldered prior to chroming), the guy at Nyphos said they would have copper plate this in addition to the normal chroming process, because of the solder, but they can chrome over the solder.

So what I dont know is if Nyphos were presented with mazak casting that had been repaired this way, would they be happy to chrome it?

I'm picking up some stuff from them next week so will ask.

Dave
clascar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting Dave, I'll be interested in what they say.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the following from a suppliers website, has anyone expirience of using it to repair mazak pitting?

Carr's Grey Flux.

A powerful but corrosive flux for soldering the “usually impossible” metals! ALUMINIUM, MAZAK, DIECAST….

This powerful, highly corrosive flux will strip aluminium oxide & allow No. 179 Strip Solder to penetrate beneath, and fuse with the aluminium. This flux is also effective on many of its alloys including Mazak (A die casting alloy as used for model cars). Spread the flux over surfaces to be joined then heat the metal with a tinned iron or an indirect flame.

Apply solder by running it on from the tip of the iron and a thick tinning will be formed. Don’t linger too long as flux is rapidly consumed & could cause withdrawal of the solder if exhausted. Any other CARR'S soft solder may be used for subsequent soldering onto this tinning, although flux protection should be maintained on the aluminium to prevent it withdrawing. Immediately all joints are made, clean the job with warm water, wipe dry and seal with Carrs Electrofix.
alan 869

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread Smile

-When I exhibit a car I get the Shudders. People queue up to tell me.
You should have done that, you should have done this. Ray-

Why get the shudders. I would tell them that I was going to do all that years ago but realized that if I did then I would deprive the moaners at shows of something to moan about Wink
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been looking at home plating kits. I've got a nickel plating kit which works quite well, other than some patchiness which I believe (and haven't had chance to verify) is because I was cleaing the workpiece with the supplied paste, but then picking it up with my actual hands (without gloves) to put it in the tank - apparently this causes some trouble.

The one I am looking at now is here: http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/Zinc-Plating-kit.php - not least because I have some bits I want to do a yellow passivate coat on, and it's not very expensive. I don't know yet how well it works as I haven't ordered yet (not ready for it) but they do a lot of other stuff on there that looks interesting.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: plating kit Reply with quote

Let me know how you get on with the kit please. I am considering buying it to plate parts for my 1931 BSA car.

regards Kels.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: chrome plating Reply with quote

Hi there,
If you are prepared to mail your parts I can thoroughly reccomend S+T chrome in Bristol. They have resurrected two rotten radiator shells for me that other platers said couldn't be done. The first one was dented, very thin, rusty and badly patched up. S+T straightened it, soldered and lead loaded it, copper plated it and finally chromed it. It looks fantastic and weighs twice as much as it did before. Cant praise them highly enough.
Cheers,
Tim
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: chroming Reply with quote

Very interesting , how much do they charge I was just about to start work on my radiator shell.
One small dent and lip pulled off where the bonnet sits for about an inch.
Might be worth handing it over for the repairs.

regards Kels.
mid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you thought of trying something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI-i6h_dmgY&feature=related

apparently you can repair pits etc with normal filler as its a paint process rather than physical chrome plating.

I know its not original but the finish looks amazing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: