classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trico Windscreen Washers problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
okky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Trico Windscreen Washers problem Reply with quote

I have a Trico Windscreen washer setup in my 1937 7W Ten.

I assume it must have been working to pass the mot last Dec ( prior to my acquiring it ) but now the pipes are broken near the actual sprayers.

I got some more pipe to get them going again.

It runs off a pipe that comes out of the manifold ... I'm guessing this was originally for the wipers, which are now electric. The vacuum from teh manifold is good as there is plenty of suction on the hose when taken off the top of the trico bottle.

There is a sliding flap on the top of the glass water bottle which has snapped off.

When I put water into the bottle and fire up the engine water is immediately sucked back to the manifold.

Would this be because the flap is broken and therefore there is no seal around the hole on the top of the bottle ?Is there any way of testing the system WITHOUT connecting it to the manifold... don't want to suck any more water back hehe.

Thanks for any help
okky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more bit of information ... the breaks in the pipes are actually at the washer jet end of the system... ie. AFTER the dashboard control...

It also looks like the LATER trico model as per this one on the holden website

[url] http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=2&pgCode=040&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Washers+%26+Wipers&agCode=0700&agName=Washer+Bottles&pCode=040.009[/url]
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I would suspect a leak in the pump, between the water side of the pump and the vacuum side.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the windscreen open?
Dax Rush
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if the pump diaphragm has a leak if water is finding its way back to the manifold.

Do you have a vacuum control knob in the system...ie depress for 2-3 seconds and the pump fills until it can hold no more water. Release button and water sprays over windscreen.

Remember the manifold creates a vacuum condition on one side of the diaphragm allowing this to "collapse" and water from the reservoir to fill the space. Once the space is full of water and you have released the vacuum control knob, atmospheric air (and a spring) will then push it back, and via a couple of one-way valves, flow water to the washer jets.
My pennyworth.
Alistair
okky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you thoughts guys...

Unfortunately the only person in our house who knows anything about vacuums isnt me ...

My gut feeling was to go with a simple manual push type replacing the control valve on the dash.

I then had a look on ebay and found replacement caps but I could do a simple push pump for a lot less, and I'd understand it ... I push and water comes out... simples

What I may do is try and rig it up out of the car, I think we've a wet / dry hoover at work that feels similar to the vacuum in the pipe from the manifold.

This would also allow me to see if the fact that the filler hole cover is broken and the hole was uncovered the only time I tested it and water went back to the carb.

Thanks again
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you PM me I can send a file about the Vacuum washer...
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not legally need washers if the screen will open and as they are not original anyway why not fit an electric pump (6v?) or even a manual one if you want them to work
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
okky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Ford 7W so the windscreen opens from the bottom ... not more then 3 or 4 inches though.

As it already has the tubing and sprayers I think I'll go with the manual plunger type on the dash... nice and simple...

Thanks for all the advice guys Smile
-
JohnDale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Okky, I have a manual washer pump. If you want it PM me a name & address, Cheers,JD.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even easier! My old Austin still has an early extra (made by Tudor I think), which is powered by a squeezy bottle hanging under the dash! It still works well and I refuse to remove it as it is part of the car's history. I retro fitted at the time washers first appeared. About 1957?
Now what is the "classic"? Me or the car? Confused
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: