classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vacuum wiper motor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Vacuum wiper motor Reply with quote

The vacuum wiper motor (Trico) has packed up, I replaced the rubber feed tube but still not working. The remaining feed tube is copper, I cannot hear any air escaping and so assume its the motor itself faulty. Anyone know where I can have this overhauled/repaired? Thanks.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what car it is on.
Does it have vacuum reserve tank?
A common problem with 100E Fords was corrosion under the vacuum tank, which cannot be seen in situ, letting air IN. Other vehicles might suffer the same problem.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on my 1928 Vauxhall 20/60 saloon, it has no reserve tank. I took the motor off the car, started the engine and felt the air pressure coming from the feed tube to the motor, it was weak. I have been advised that the leather paddle may need oiling and so I will do that today but as the pressure is so low it points to a leak in the feed somewhere, I just wish the feed pipe was not buried deep within the car structure Rolling Eyes
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no pressure from the pipe to the motor! It should be "sucking" air in surely? It is a VACUUM pipe and it should "suck" like a vacuum cleaner!
Jim.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to locate and repair the fault, it was the needle switch which was bunged up with crud. Cleaned it out and hey presto Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: