classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford pop 103E steering box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
JC22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Ford pop 103E steering box Reply with quote

I am about to start restoring my Ford Pop 103. But unfortunately while shiftting it around the shed a heavy handed gorilla ( not me) turned the steering wheel until the collar at the top of the steering box where the steering column joins smashed a piece out. Can somebody tell me if the steering column is removable from the steering box or are they meant to be one piece?

Thanks
Jason
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,not sure which part of the box you are calling the ' steering column '
If you mean the outer tube they are usually riveted to the actual box & can be removed by drilling out the rivet once the box is removed from the car. If you mean the shaft which runs inside the tube this is removed through the bottom of the box(watching out for all the ball bearings,gaskets & shims) again with the steering box removed from the car. Is the piece which has been broken the bush at the top end just under the steering wheel?
JC22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, thanks for the reply. The collar on top of the box broke off where the rivets on the outer tube are. I now have to track down a used box and get it to Australia. I have removed the whole lot from the car now but I am wondering how I would refit the column to a new steering box or would the column and steering box be one complete part?
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, a second hand box would normally come as a complete unit. If you were looking for one in UK you could try

http://pre67ford.hyperboards.com/index.php?

as we have quite a few members with the older Fords & the possibility of spares or Graeme White in NZ at mail@enford.co.nz who may be able to help with something a bit nearer to you. Certainly an enquiry on our website under ' Parts Wanted ' would get you a response. Kind regards,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: