classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rostyle wheels and tubeless tyres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Rostyle wheels and tubeless tyres. Reply with quote

I asked a tyre fitter (one of those big national concerns) If he could change a tyre for me.
Basically one of the rostyles on my P5b was rusty and I wanted the tyre (which is a tubed type) and its tube putting on a new wheel.
The fitter refused to have anything to do with it.
The reasons given were 1 that the tyre is old (so it might be but its not got any cracks or splits or perishing and the treads almost unworn). and 2 he reckoned Rostyle wheels can't be fitted with tubes "cos they are designed for tubeless" . I asked to see the manager and when he finally managed to put in an appearance he shew all the tact,knowledge and diplomacy of Attila the Hun.
I bought a couple of tyre levers and did the job myself.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's no requirement for a wheel designed for tubeless tyres to be free from sharp projections in the well but if there is nothing that would abraid a tube then I can't see any problem in fitting one.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus I don't see how its the fitter's business whether the tyre is old or not, it could just be going onto a slave wheel fitted to a project car for all he knows.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later wheels usually have humop rim to make the tyre more secure in case of a sudden deflation. Tubeless were, as far as I remember, were introduced before the hump rim, but a young tyre fitter may not be aware of that.
With regard to fitting older tyres. Any "professional" tradesman or company is likely to be held legally at fault for fitting an old tyre. Especially in our compensation society.
Many years ago a chap came into our garage with a leaking brake cylinder, which we did replace, but only after pointing out that the whole braking system on the old Standard 8 needed attention. He chose to ignore the advice and insisted on the partial brake job.
After an accident some weeks later where the Police blamed his brakes he tried to shift the blame onto us for not doing a "proper" job. We had a rather sticky couple of months getting out of that.
Needless to say we always afterwards would not take on any work unless we could complete it to OUR sataisafaction.
If the free claims system had been around then we might not have "escaped".
Possibly the tyre company were covering their own tails!
Jim.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jims right it's the compensation culture that makes so many people wary of doing anything that could come back later to bite them.
I think too,that the fitter and manager were probably only used to dealing with modern stuff and regarded my old tyres and wheels as prehistoric.
I remember a pal whos p5b failed the MOT because the wipers didn't touch the screen when parked.He pointed out that it's designed that way and like all Rover p5bs has little ramps that lift the blade off the screen.Eventually he got his new certificate.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally valid point about the Rostyles they are designed for tubeless tyres and even if sharpe edges were dressed the rivet heads MAY still abrade the tube and cause a blowout/slow

There is also the issue that tubless tyres are not designed for tubes either as the inside is quite rough and will wear through a tube.

Having said all this I have run P5B Rostyles and other tubeless tyres with tubes for years without a problem

I did however had a Mk1 VW Golf in 1981 which developed a front wheel shake and I noticed that one of the front tyres had distorted - I took it to Quickfit for a new tyre and they found a 1/2" nut in between the tube and tyre inside which had worn a hole almost through both tube and tyre - the wheel with tbe and and tyre was on the car when I bought it 2 years and 10k miles before so whilst the practice of fitting tubes to tubeless tyres/wheels will never be endorsed by the manufacturers and frowned on by experts it may not make much real differernec except on on real high performance cars.

In the end its your life Shocked
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: