classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

cylindered torque - re-torque
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: cylindered torque - re-torque Reply with quote

Had a water leak from the head gasket, slight weep from the front corner (E93a) manifold side.

Damn thought I another head gasket, so ordered one.
Then though I'd check the torque and add a quarter turn.

Set the torque wrench and started to check.
All studs/nuts took at least half turn to torque down, even so still added quarter turn.

Been out a few miles since and no sign of the leak.
And, more psychological I think, she seems to have a bit more go.

I can remember a few years back some engines had to be torqued twice, once when cold, then after a set mileage, or not, had to be re-torqued hot.

Was this standard practice across most engines, or is it best to just check every few months

Or do the studs need replacing

Roger
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: retorque Reply with quote

Hi, If it has cured the leak I would accept it and be thankful.

BMC used to advise tightening critical joints leave them overnight and then retighten. When I did this on my 1800 Morris I was surprised how much the tension had relaxed overnight.

The TR7 head gasket advice is to retighten more than once, I doubt the studs are stretching.

Regards Kels.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kels

As you say leave it alone for now, now that the leak has gone.
Well at least I have a spare head-gasket, been meaning to get a spare.

Like most things with classics, just keep an eye on things.

Got a couple of hundred mile round trip on Sunday that should tell.

Roger
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
I had a similar problem recently on my Pop 103e, but also reground the valves etc so fitted a new head gasket anyway.
Reading the workshop Manual it does give torque settings for hot or cold!!
But also says that if fitting the head 'cold' when the bolts have been torqued down, run the engine to working temperature, then with the engine warm re-torque them....as you say, there was at least quater of a turn on each nut!
I followed this and so far it's been spot on Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember to reset the torque spanner back to zero after use. You probably knew that anyway Smile I didn't though until a few years ago, and snapped a stud on my E83W as a result Embarassed

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tensioned head gaskets at least twice, especially the copper/asbestos (or modern equivilent)/copper type. They definitely compress after initial use and require re-tensioning.

With a lower compression, side valve engine you can generally get away with painting the pre-used head gasket with aluminium paint both sides, (we call it silver frost over here) then tighten down to it's required tension and have no problems.

Keith
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Hi Roger,
I had a similar problem recently on my Pop 103e, but also reground the valves etc so fitted a new head gasket anyway.
Reading the workshop Manual it does give torque settings for hot or cold!!
But also says that if fitting the head 'cold' when the bolts have been torqued down, run the engine to working temperature, then with the engine warm re-torque them....as you say, there was at least quater of a turn on each nut!
I followed this and so far it's been spot on Smile

Are you sure you are reading the manual correctly?
For a start how do you fit a "hot" head?
Also accepted practice is to retighten a head after a few miles or days. So the head is subjected to varying temperature.
The way I was taught is to slacken the head bolts/nuts in reverse sequence and then re-torque as normal.
Cast Iron heads should be re-torqued hot and aluminium heads COLD (not cool). Also assembling with dry threads plays havoc with tightening torque.
I have never come across information to contradict this.
Jim.
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am reading it properly although I've always done head-work 'cold' I would have thought the manual means at least 'warm' because as you say 'how would you work with it hot'??
But from the Ford of Dagenham workshop manual it says:

(4) Install the cylinder head nuts and tighten them down equally from the centre outwards in the order shown in Fig.1. The correct degree of tightness is when a torque of 35 lbs. Feet is applied. This may be reduced by 5 lbs. Feet if the engine is hot.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very curious - unless it is a Haynes Manual!
Jim.
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I would read that as: Tighten the head and when re-torquing after it's warmed up use a setting of 5ft/lbs less. IE 30ft/lbs.

Art
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Greg,

I would read that as: Tighten the head and when re-torquing after it's warmed up use a setting of 5ft/lbs less. IE 30ft/lbs.

Art

That could well be, but torque is lbs.ft. Power is ft/lbs.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: re torque Reply with quote

Jim, what happens to the water when you release the nuts before retorqueing?

I would be concerned that it could leak into the cylinders.

I have always just started with them tight and checked the nuts with the torque wrench.

regards Kels
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you ensure the radiator pressure cap is released (if it has one) and you do not disturb the head there should not be a problem (stickage, if there is such a word). IF there is any leakage it will be negligible in the time the studs are loose. And even if it is internal, the heat of the engine will quickly clear it. Every gallon of petrol burnt produces a gallon of water inside the engine (hence steam from a cold exhaust). The engine is used to water!
If you do not release the nuts/bolts you will often get a false torque. Again from "stickage"
In any case by "release" all that is necessary is to loosen them to take most of the tension off them.
Jim.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never ever release cyl head bolt's or nut's to re-toque them, if a manufacture of anything that need's a torque setting then that is what should be applied, and never oil a bolt or nut unless again it is specified as this will increase strain on the bolt or nut,if a cyl head has been of for any reason or is being re-fitted then stud's or hole's in the block should be cleaned with a tap or die, and again if an eng should have hardened washer's under the nut's or bolt's then don't fit mild steel one's,most so called modern eng's have a lot of elastic or stretch type bolt's fitted one reason being that they retain their setting and are tensioned with an angle meter again as laid down by the manufacture's which alleviate's a stiff bolt or nut,but i would still clean the thread's first, i might add that as having worked on engine's from lawnmower's to v8 diesel's i have yet to find any manufacture that req's the head to be released and re-tightened,i have somewhere torque figure's for bolt's oiled and dry and they are different!.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen in many manuals, instructions to clean and lightly oil threads on cylinder head fixings. I have NEVER seen instructions not to do so.
If a torque wrench is used to tighten as opposed to RE-tighten the head the static friction (which I like to call "stiction") on the threads will usually suggest the nut or bolt is tight enough or even over tight. Static friction is many times sliding friction, as can be felt when driving when tyres lose their static friction and start to slide. It is also the reason (corrosion aside), why a bolt often seems to need so much torque to start it moving when trying to release it - quite often with a "crack". Which is where, I imagine, the expression "cracking" a bolt or nut comes from.
I stand squarely behind what I posted. And is what I have taught over many years as a Technical College Motor Vehicle Lecturer.
Even angular tightening which does not apply in this case demands an accurate initial torque so the same arguments stand.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: