classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

molasses bath for rusty iron, i.e. engine blocks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: molasses bath for rusty iron, i.e. engine blocks? Reply with quote

i recall having read something about soaking a rusted iron block in molasses and the rust coming off without damaging the base metal; any experiences among you fellows? if i buy the 103e Squire it will need rust removal before the engine can be rebuilt. well; everything from the engine and gearbox, actually, it's all in a coat of dull red rust.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: rust removal with molasses Reply with quote

I used it several years ago.
because it was winter it was very slow acting. I left the parts immersed for some time. When I removed them a cast iron exhaust manifold had been altered so that it was possible to smear the surace with a cloth.

Other parts were clean. The

smell was reminiscent of a brewery which may be attractive to some of us.

Wife was not impressed.

Iuse citric acid these days bought from Ebay in 1kg containers. this works without the smell.

regards Kels.
RobMoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap cola works well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: