classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stromburg carb--easier to set up than an SU?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
jessejazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Stromburg carb--easier to set up than an SU? Reply with quote

A friend years ago said that the Stromberg was easier to setup than an SU - i don't know.

I'm considering putting one on a landy S3 obviously i'll have to make an adaptor as i've found one amongst my bits CD175.

Apparently on a landy a single SU is worth fitting however jetting is always a bind. I would have thought a Stromberg the same. I've read so many opinions that better to put in the bin and fit an SU. Yet the Stromberg was designed to replace the SU - seemed to be very successful in the US on triumphs from what i can gather.

Anyone in a position to give good fair opinion?

thanks
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an SU the jet is standard to the choke diameter. It is the needle which needs to be changed.
There are DOZENS! Each profiled to dimensions at about 1/10th of an inch intervals along its length to within 1/10th of a thou. Sorting out the best replacement needle is really trial and error, though the SU website has a graphical system whereby different needles can be compared. But you still need to assess the performance of a known needle first to to compare and select one YOU THINK (with a bit of luck) will be better.
I imagine Strombergs are similar, though I have never needed to change needles in one to fit to a different engine.
By the way, Strombergs were not a replacement for SU's. They were market competitors. Many identical Triumph engines had either SU's OR Strombergs.
Jim.
exbmc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: stromberg Reply with quote

I think Stromberg carbs are much the same to set up as S.U.
The main difference is, with the S.U. you adjust the jet up and down, with the Stromberg, apart from very early ones, you adjust the needle up and down as required. Early type Strombergs, as found up to 70's Hillman, Range Rover, Vitesse etc, had a knurled nut sticking through the centre of the float chamber. Later ones had a special tool, to put down the dashpot, about 1/8" allen key sticking through a centre boss with a locking peg to stop you turning and ripping the diaphragm. Some had a larger 1/4" allen key. You use this to wind the needle as required.
As regards spares, I obtained everything I needed from Gower and Lee. www.gowerandlee.co .uk They are in Bushey, phone 01923 247300.
I got a B6BD needle for about a tenner. The float needle/seat is normally 1.5mm, they could supply a 3.00mm to improve flow on a gravity system. Again, about a tenner. A "blue" coded dashpot spring was about £4, and a float chamber gasket was about £1.50. They may be able to recommend what you need to use the 1.75cd on a Landy. Good mod I would think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: