classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

fuel additive
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
layla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: fuel additive Reply with quote

i have a volvo 940, i get reasonable mpg but want to improve it, i have seen some additives in halfords and wanted to know what is the best and recomended. i noticed some octane additives contain injector cleaners do the work or can they block up the care/damage the car?
RobMoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will not get better mpg by adding additives of any sort. the only way to improve mpg is having the engine properly tuned and altering ones driving style.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think more time spent looking at driving style, checking tyre pressures etc would be beneficial. Injector cleaner may improve its running, but not sure you'd see any gains in mpg.

Welcome to the forum Wink

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
layla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou, i wasnt sure i looked at the mecanical ones and reviews and they said they were rubbish. but found no reviews on the additives.
A friend tryed a fuel injector cleaner that you added but it moved some of the coke into another part of the engine effected its running
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever come across one additive which I can honestly say worked. Except Redex which did soften carbon deposits making de-coking easier in the days when it was a frequent necessity.
The additive which worked was the fuel additive which homoginised(?) water in a fuel tank allowing it to pass through carburetter jets and injector systems without stopping the engine. Thus clearing the problem.
For the rest I would not waste my money.
Representatives used to perform demonstrations with impressive equipment to prove the worth of their additives. Careful thought normally revealed that the equipment produced bearing loads etc. many many times beyond those existing within any normal mechanical device.
Their claims were akin to proving that a 15" hawser was necessary to tow an ocean going ship and therefore the same was true to tow a rowing boat!
How many of the additive manufacturers offer a money back guarantee? And how would you prove your point anyway?
Save your money!
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: fuel additive Reply with quote

layla wrote:
i get reasonable mpg but want to improve it,

The best way to improve your mpg is to train yourself not to use the brakes. Always anticipate obstructions ahead. If you are approaching a roundabout try to time your arrival to avoid stopping. If there are cars ahead of you allow time for them to get clear so they don't force you to stop. If approaching traffic lights that are green don't leave a gap between you and the car in front. The lights look for such gaps to make the change to red and will cause you to stop. If you see a red traffic light way ahead try not to arrive before it changes to green and do so without using the brakes. If you need to apply much braking you are just burning fuel off as heat.

If on the open you are driving behind a car that uses the brakes a lot leave a large gap so you can smooth out their acceleration/braking pattern simply by lifting your foot off your accelerator when they brake.

Peter
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% Peter.
But you missed out engine braking down hills, which can save fuel AND brake linings.

However! In my taxiing days I remember picking up a driving instructor whose car was out of service. I drove him about ten miles as you outline, expecting perhaps some comment on sensible and safe driving.
But no! He said "Your driving is old fashioned. You do not use the brakes often enough and someone is going to run into the back of you." I pointed out that if anyone ran into the back of me while I was sensibly slowing down gently by using gears they should have been better taught. If only because they would be in the correct gear for picking up speed again. Not impressed he then told me I "overused" the gearbox which would wear out the clutch. I then confounded him by doing a few gearchanges without the clutch! The clutch on that Peugeot 405 did eventually wear out at over 200,000 miles - as a taxi.
He no doubt still teaches his pupils to drive on the brakes and if all driving instructors are the same some drivers will always continue to rush past me as I am easing up for a red light or junction etc.
I will continue to drive as I always have. In 55 years I have yet to be shunted from behind.
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Your engine braking is even more effective with today's fly by wire machines. Here's a plot I took from the OBD II port on my Mondeo TDCi
From time 13 through to 24 I took my foot off the accelerator and unlike cars in the past, it uses absolutely zero fuel on overrun. At time 24 I then took it out of gear and so the ECU determined that the engine would stall if it didn't start injecting fuel again. So for overruning nowadays don't freewheel just select your highest gear and run on as low a throttle as possible. (Fuel is in mg/stroke.)

Peter

Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Peter, but rather beyond the ken of my 72 years old brain.
My experience over a HUGE mileage is primarily of vehicles pre-engine management systems, though I realise what you are saying.
By the way, "coasting" did not come into my mind. I NEVER coast because in that huge mileage I have suffered four or five brake failures and possibly survived on at least two because I do not coast.
I don't know whether you are familiar with Cromford Hill in Derbyshire, but one was just starting to descend that with a Sheerline hearse of all things. Already in third, a quick engine boost and change down to second gear with a few clicks taken up on the handbrake allowed me to descend safely, Laughing
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Very interesting Peter, but rather beyond the ken of my 72 years old brain.

I'm 10 years your junior and some of the numbers go beyond my brain's ability to gauge too.

This is typical of all modern Diesels and uses a high pressure pump to generate a supply in a "common rail". The injectors are controlled electrically so the functions of timing and duration are controlled by electrickery rather than a mechanical distributor. What blows my mind is the pressures generated. You'll see that the "Rail Pressure" is reaching 1600 Bar under demand for power! 1600 Bar = 23,000 psi !!!! Yes, you did read correctly.

Peter Shocked
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit over 23000 acually Peter.
Cummings have used a (common rail) pressure/time system for over 40 years on their engines, though I don't think the pressures used to be that high. I'm a bit hazy now, but I'm pretty sure the timing was from extra lobes and rockers on the camshaft rather than "electrical trickery". I never actually worked on a Cummins engine or their equipment, Though I have overhauled calibrated and tested jerk pumps and injectors. In the proper environment and the proper equipment.
In any case modern "jerk" pumps can go up to more than that! In some cases up to 30,000!
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
A bit over 23000 acually Peter.

At these pressures whose counting the odd couple of hundred psi.
In fact I rounded off to the 1600 Bar figure too. It was actually 1663 Bar at its peak on that run which is over 24,000 psi. I also saw 1676 Bar on another run.

P. Wink
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with using throttle and less braking god know's why everyone seem's to be in a hurry these day's to get nowhere! i think a lot is to do with the idiot's who advertise their car's on telly on how fast it can get round a bend and 0-60 time's and top speed and of course it must have plenty of horse power,and the idiot's who buy them thinking they can drive like that all the time , i run my old car in fifth gear at 30mph most times loaded with tool's this give's me over 40mpg mostly town driving as for driving so called instructor's i s--t them ever noticed how they drive when they have no pupil's on board of course they have passed a instructor's exam!!!!!!!!! so they know how to drive,this is a few thing,s i have noticed in the last week driver's do overtake a tractor single carriageway on crossed white line's that was a 8/whl tipper followed by a taxi,van turning up a one way road the wrong way,another tipper and car's in the r/h and straight over lane of a slip road turning left anyone in the left lane can also go straight over this would have resulted in an accident ,several car's turning right against a left turn only.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst reducing speed will improve your fuel economy you can still get respectable mpg and drive reasonably fast.

With the Mondeo TDCi used for the graphs above I recently did a trip of 1370 miles with a mix of motorway and A class roads mainly in the outside lane on the motorway and without creating any tail backs and at 60 mph on A class roads. Checking my fuel brim to brim I got 59.76 mpg overall for the total journey. This car is 15' 7" long and weighs 31 cwt.

Peter
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post seems to have gone well off topic. Possibly my fault! But on the fuel consumption side. Almost everyone, even those who do not rush up to lights etc., seem to take off from junctions and traffic lights as if they are trying to remove Vettel's pole advantage.
Still, on the brighter side, the extra tax they pay may cure the Country's economic depression problem?
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: