classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WANTED: Old Vehicle Child Safety Products/Magazine Articles
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Do you mean the outside shell was polystyrene? My grandsons seat in my car has a plasic shell but it is polystyrene padding covered with a washable cover.

Art
john-saab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..the seat was made from thick polystyrene..not a booster seat it was like a small winged chair..it had a cover..nothing else..very basic.
I'm trawling through my old pics to see if i still have anything..it may take some time.
I may also gave a bit of litriture somewhere...still looking for that as well.
AustinMusic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john-saab wrote:
no..the seat was made from thick polystyrene..not a booster seat it was like a small winged chair..it had a cover..nothing else..very basic.
I'm trawling through my old pics to see if i still have anything..it may take some time.
I may also gave a bit of litriture somewhere...still looking for that as well.

Thanks for posting. It’s good to know there are some old seats still lying around so I shall not give up on my search!

It’s a shame it got cleared out as you say. If by some outside chance it’s still around, I’ll certainly buy it! Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Your description is very interesting. It could be a Britax Star Rider although this seat was constructed using a fibreglass contoured shell, not polystyrene. It was available from around May 1971 (I have not yet been able to establish an exact date of release) and was fully approved to BS 3254; the valid standard for vehicle child safety products between 21 July 1960 and 15 January 1991. In 1971 the short review by Motor magazine stated “the front webbing is easily adjusted and snap-clip fasteners enable the seat to be installed in the vehicle or removed in a moment or two”.

The safety harness was removable for separate stand-alone use and thus Britax advertised the seat as “being built for long life”. It also came in a choice of Black, Red and a third colour which I have never been able to identify.

The seat was updated with a redesigned buckle and fitting kit in early 1975. The new seat was called the Britax Star Rider 50 and featured a press-release buckle rather than the aviation twist-style type that according to Practical Motorist in May 1975 “attracted a lot of criticism, mainly on the grounds that it was difficult to release in a hurry”. Such sentiment was corroborated by a test carried out by the AA’s Drive magazine in spring 1973 which reported the buckle was “fiddly to do up, liable to jam and has uncomfortably sharp edges”. In the same article it was mentioned that some users had apparently stated that on occasion they had had to use pliers to undo it! If you could remember the buckle type it might help identify the seat.

The only other Britax model I know of which it could have been was the Britax Comfy Rider, which replaced the Star Rider 50 in the spring of 1977. The seat was far more advanced with an injection-moulded polypropylene shell (again not polystyrene) rather the formed fibreglass shell of its predecessor. Using polypropylene meant the impact resistance of the seat was significantly increased and this was augmented further by the closed cell foam that was added to the seat under the cover. The shell of the seat extended far higher than that of the Star Rider 50 to improve head and neck protection. Moreover, it was the first seat to be marketed by (Sir) Jackie Stewart and wife Helen after he had joined the board of Britax (BSG) in 1976. The seat initially retailed at £23.71.

I hope this helps identify the seat even if it has been long lost!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: