classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cooling system mystery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Cooling system mystery Reply with quote

Covered about 1000 miles this year since my 1928 Vauxhall 20/60 had been treated to a top end overhaul. This included a head skim and new copper head gasket. All seemed fine until recently I notice that after a run the top of the radiator is hot but the lower section is cold. The coolant level is just above the radiator header tank, I topped it up once and obviously overfilled it. It has settled at just above header tank level and seems OK. No evidence of milky sludge anywhere either. What could be the problem? Thank you.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect there to be a significant difference in the top and bottom radiator temperatures.
If there was not the radiator would be faulty!
As long as the engine is reaching normal running temperature and not overheating there is nothing to worry about.
Presumably your car has a thermo-syphon cooling system (no water pump) and that temperature difference is what makes the coolant circulate.
However, in Winter it is possible to over-cool such engines because they generally do not have a thermostat. In those conditions a radiator muffler may be wise.
Jim.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jim, the cooling system has not overheated at all, the system has got a water pump, unusual perhaps considering the vintage. I will bear in mind the use of a radiator muff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: