classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

casting rubber, what kind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: casting rubber, what kind? Reply with quote

hello,in rebuilding my Austin A40 i have come across several rubber parts that need replacing as the original rubber has turned to goo. these items include the engine and transmission mounting blocks, boots for the brakes, boots for the brake and clutch pedals, as well as a few gaskets and seals. some i have found on ebay, but some like the brake master cylinder seals, i cant find at all. for these i was wondering about casting rubber
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120561315312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1464wt_1204
this is a castable rubber i found, would it hold up to brake fluid?
any info would be very helpfull, thanks!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably would be sufficiently brake fluid resistant but the rubber boots are there to keep out dust/water definitely not to keep the fluid in which just should not present or "loose" in the first place.Shocked

Its grease/oil/petrol resistance that is more important
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Smile , for the brake master cylinder there are two rubber seals inside, and i have a choice between silicon rubber and urethane rubber (guess i should have siad that before, sorry Confused )
which do you think is best for this application?
many thanks,
Nick.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not even contemplate using home made seals in brakes for this purpose - there must be some modern equivalent as standard sizs were used from the outset for propriety systems that all UK manufacturers fitted
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lockheed Catalogue 1959 - 1970 says both the A40 Mk1 and A40 Mk11 need Brake Master Cylinder Repair Kit KL71535

I am sure I have seen those kits new old stock at car shows...

If not found this in 5 mins searching google 4u

Good Luck

http://www.earlpart.co.uk/catalogue%20a30.pdf
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting your own brake seals! A terrifying prospect.
Please send me a private message if you intend coming anywhere near me and I will stay safely at home!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At auto jumbles and eBay, unbranded brake seals are a common sight, I have wondered if these are being manufactured on a "DIY" basis in a back garden shed with a rubber casting kit? Confused

Just did an eBay search and Earlpart have a kit listed for the A40, they are an old established parts and garage service firm who I would trust not to sell iffy parts! Very Happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-A40-SOMERSET-DEVON-SPORTS-MASTER-CYLINDER-REPAIR-KITS-/290624323479?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aa8f3f97#ht_501wt_1165
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, sorry, never thought about it like that! Shocked i suppose at very worst if the brake cylinder failed totaly, theres still the mechanical rear breaks Embarassed
of course, though out this rebuild im trying to be as safety oriented as possible. the reason behind thinking about making seals is they are a strange looking hollow section square form o-ring and i couldnt find any Confused
D4B, earlparts looks fantastic! i will definatly contact them about parts.
we dont have to many auto jumbles here in manitoba, so i try to find a lot of parts on ebay.
agian, thank you,
Nick.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.S. wrote:
ha, sorry, never thought about it like that! Shocked i suppose at very worst if the brake cylinder failed totaly, theres still the mechanical rear breaks Embarassed
of course, though out this rebuild im trying to be as safety oriented as possible. the reason behind thinking about making seals is they are a strange looking hollow section square form o-ring and i couldnt find any Confused
D4B, earlparts looks fantastic! i will definatly contact them about parts.
we dont have to many auto jumbles here in manitoba, so i try to find a lot of parts on ebay.
agian, thank you,
Nick.

If you study the seals carefully you will find they taper very slightly from the front lip to the back edge, which forces them to expand slightly under pressure for a good seal. The lip on the front edge is also as sharp as a knife edge (or would be if it was steel). ANY imperfection in that edge will mar the sealing.
I doubt if any "home" casting, however good, could ever replicate the shape accurately enough.
Oh, and by the way. Have you ever tried stopping quickly on rear brakes alone? With probably only about 40% of the vehicle weight on the rear wheels, timing the stop would be better done with a calendar than a stop-watch!
JIm.
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will buy new seals for the brakes.
these seals are not normal cup seals, which need a perfectly sharp edge, these are flat, when you press the brake pedal there is a slight bit of pressure compressing them out a bit forming a perfect seal.
i will attempt some photos Confused

Nick.S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, that worked Very Happy
sorry about the jittery pictures. the cylinder are in nice shape, but the rubber has turned to goo. Sad
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only show one seal on there! There should be 2 seals on this (Lockheed type) piston and cylinder.
The front seal needs to let fluid past on the reverse stroke (only) and the other seal prevents fluid escaping past the piston.
If the front seal is not functioning properly in BOTH directions there will be no emergency "pump up" at the pedal. If the rear seal is not extremely accurate in size and lip position it can either prevent fluid entering from the reservoir or do the opposite and cause the brakes to lock on.
Perhaps not such a simple problem as you first thought?
Jim.
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, yes, this is making sense. i knew there were two seals in there ( i bought a service manuel for it) but i cant get the end cover off, its to tightly torqued on. i will see what i can do to get that apart Smile
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bore size is it?

A seal kit for a rover p4/p5/land rover series 1/series2 should fit that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: