classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electroplating advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Merc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Electroplating advice Reply with quote

I need advice on the "Frost" Electroplating Kits. The particular kits I'm interested in are the "Aluminium Anodising" and "Cadmium-Zinc" kits. All the metals I will be using will be Bead Blast cleaned prior to plating. Can anyone please advised me if these kits work?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you specifically about the Frosts kits, but I did buy a nickel plating kit from eBay that does work pretty well. From what I can see of my kit vs the Frost ones, I'd say it's pretty much the same. It works well, though the instructions are rubbish. I hadn't realised that just touching the item after cleaning it can result in black marks on the finished product, for example, and the manual doesn't mention it. I've had some good results, though.

As well as Frosts, though, you might want to look at this site: http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/index.php

Again, I have no direct experience of this company, but I do intend to get one of their kits in the new year as I have a number of items that I need to get a passivate plate on, and I'm not going to get a "proper" plating company to do the job for the price they're selling the kit for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: