classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Headlamp reflector resilvering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
welder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Headlamp reflector resilvering. Reply with quote

I've been spurred on by what I've read on here to make my 1937 Morris 8 4-door Saloon roadworthy and useable again. It's been dry stored in my garage for longer than I care to remember...ever since my interest in motorcycles was rekindled, probably 20 years ago.

Now it's time for the Old Morris, as it's always been known, to see the light of day once more. I'm not going to tart the bodywork up too much as it's nicely patina'd. There are, however, some things I must do and this will include getting the headlight reflectors resilvered.

Can anyone kindly commend to me a company who can offer this service? Ideally in the West Midlands but not essentially.

I shall also be needing 5off 4.50 x 17 tyres soonish but I'd like to do the lights first.

I eagerly await education and edification. Smile

Ian
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the lights for my Firenza plated by a company called "Dual Metallising", they're in the West Midlands somewhere (I couriered them), I think it's Bromsgrove. This is how they came out, though they weren't cheap. Note that the coating is on everything, inside and out, so if your reflectors are also the body of the lamp as mine are, there's no point painting the outers before they go. It's hard to tell from the photo but they are very shiny indeed.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

I have been looking into this too for my Morris 8 reflectors, found this company: http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/

Anyone expirience of them?

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Ian

I have been looking into this too for my Morris 8 reflectors, found this company: http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/

Anyone expirience of them?

Dave

Dave, thanks for that. Unless I can find someone nearer to Brum it looks like I'll be off to Sheffield.

Once more, thank you.

Ian
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual Metallising are in Birmingham. Have a look at www.dual-metallising.co.uk/

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
welder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, James Road, Tyseley, Birmingham.

I drive past the end of James Road at least 10 times a week so I don't imagine I'll be going to Sheffield after all.

Doubly appropriate, as it happens, cos that's where James Motorcycles used to be made and I've got a couple of their products.

RotaryBri, you're a splendid fellow. Thank you.

Ian
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welder,

I'm puzzled when you say that James Motorcycles were made in James Road. When I used to visit the James factory it was in Gough Road and went round the corner in Tomey Road in Greet. This was just off Golden Hillock Road down the road from the BSA factory.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
welder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
Welder,

I'm puzzled when you say that James Motorcycles were made in James Road. When I used to visit the James factory it was in Gough Road and went round the corner in Tomey Road in Greet. This was just off Golden Hillock Road down the road from the BSA factory.

I'm glad that you picked up on this. As Gough Road and James Road are very close to one another I've always assumed that both sites were associated with the bike manufacturers, in much the same way that BSA occupied several sites in and near to Birmingham.

Every day's a school day Embarassed

Ian
Austin-sixteen-Cornwall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I served my apprenticeship (1959-1964) at Wilmot Breeden Ltd - who were based at Amington Rd which is just round the corner from Kings Rd. Their Training workshop was in Kings Rd and my father (Ernie Mason) was the trainig workshop supervisor there.
Wilmot Breeden's main business was production of components for the motor industry such as car locks, window winders, bumpers, chrome trim, chromed and plastic car badges, headlamp bezels to name a few.
All just a memory now!

Cheers Arnold
captain bobo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian (Welder),

I also need my headlamp reflectors sorted: did anything become of this post? Did you get yours treated?

Best wishes, Dave B
welder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain bobo wrote:
Hi Ian (Welder),

I also need my headlamp reflectors sorted: did anything become of this post? Did you get yours treated?

Best wishes, Dave B

Hi Dave, there's more to this post than meets the eye! When I posted this stuff I fondly thought that I'd just gently ease the old car back into use. You might want to take a look at the "Morris" section and view the thread "1937 Morris 8, dry siezed engine".

Reflector resilvering is still required but has taken a place on the back burner, as you will see.

My best regards,

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: