classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Gas is still around, although I have not seen it in the small can with a nozzle recently? seems to be either aerosols or 5L containers.

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Try here. Look under stockists.
http://www.toolbank.com/943/p/PLG811

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
welder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on eBay. Lots of Plus Gas on offer. Aerosols as well as the original spout tins. I shall buy some, in a spout tin.

Ian
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman
That's a big help - a company I hadn't found in searches before.
I will say that one of the listed stockists is one where I got a blank look! - but there are others close by that look promising.
Thanks.
welder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tyres and innertubes fitted today. The old tyres looked almost ok until removed, then all the hairline cracks in the sidewalls became chasms when closely inspected.

While the wheels were off I greased all the nipples on steering and suspension. There is no shortage of them Shocked

Just need to sort the headlamps and coax the stoplights into working and I'm about ready for MOT. Blimey.

Oh, another question. Do I need to get the car inspected as the registration number isn't recognised? Tried to get insurance quotes and the websites asked for reg number....not known. The car hasn't been on SORN as that wasn't invented when the old thing was parked up all those years ago. To further muddy the waters, I'd sold the original number many years ago in a moment of fiscal weakness and even the "new" number doesn't show.

Ian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

If the mot station can't recognise the car, they will create a new record and the DVLA will contact you, they can still issue the mot.

You mention the brake lamps need sorting, problem is often the mechanical switch, this is located above the master cylinder and very exposed to the elements Confused A blast of electrical contact cleaner can help sort them out.

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Ian

If the mot station can't recognise the car, they will create a new record and the DVLA will contact you, they can still issue the mot.

You mention the brake lamps need sorting, problem is often the mechanical switch, this is located above the master cylinder and very exposed to the elements Confused A blast of electrical contact cleaner can help sort them out.

Dave

Dave, thank you for that. I've just located the brake light switch and you're right, it's well exposed to the elements. I'll have a closer look when this weather clears up. I'm almost ankle deep in drought.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a problem. An idiot broke the ignition-switch part of my combined lighting, charging and ignition switch years ago by assuming that the key needed the extra turn to start the car so as a jury-rig I put in a toggle switch to give power to fuel pump and ignition coil.

I'm now struggling to get wiper, trafficators and stop lights working despite wiring and fuse being apparently ok. My guess is that I need to send a supply to this combined switch and by-pass the broken, non-functioning part. I'm happy to take a supply from the toggle switch I fitted all those years ago but have no idea which terminal on the combined switch I'd need to go to. Is there someone who can advise, please? Or, better still, does anybody have a replacement master switch I could buy.

I'm so close to getting Old Morris ready for MOT that this setback is becoming frustrating. Gentlemen, I prostrate myself before you. What do I do?

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Ian

Dave

Dave, thank you for that. I've just located the brake light switch and you're right, it's well exposed to the elements. I'll have a closer look when this weather clears up. I'm almost ankle deep in drought.

Ian

Dave, you were quite right. A good squirt of contact cleaner got the brake light switch operating again. Thank you. A good "fiddle" with the wiring in the circular connection box at the side of the bulkhead sorted the semaphore trafficators and the screen wiper, to which I've fitted a new blade.

Still can't persuade the dynamo to charge, though. I've flashed the field coil connection to no avail and remain convinced that I shall need to carry out some sort of wiring trickery to by-pass the broken switch element. Switch says PLC5 on the back and it seems that there are several variations on a theme as I've searched the sites of several companies that supply repro units and can't source the exact one that I need. I shall keep searching and/or experimenting with wiring bodges until I'm getting a charge.

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas switches regularly turn up on ebay, but may not have been tested.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/ebay.htm?ebaylink=lucas+plc

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

Still can't persuade the dynamo to charge, though. I've flashed the field coil connection to no avail and remain convinced that I shall need to carry out some sort of wiring trickery to by-pass the broken switch element. Switch says PLC5 on the back and it seems that there are several variations on a theme as I've searched the sites of several companies that supply repro units and can't source the exact one that I need. I shall keep searching and/or experimenting with wiring bodges until I'm getting a charge.

Ian
Hi Ian is it the 2 or 3 brush set up? it would have originally been 3 but may have been upgraded to 2 over the years. The PLC switch is different for both set ups, but the earlier one can be retained if moving to a 2 brush set up, the charge setting on it though wont do anything.

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it's a 2 brush dynamo which was fitted to the car when bought. I do have a spare, good 3 brush item though.

I'm of a mind to just get the car road legal with a total-loss electrical system for the time being. I have two 6-volt batteries on it, wired in such a fashion as to give me 6 volts and plenty of amps Confused Shalln't be driving in the dark or, indeed, very far.

And Rick, thanks for your eBay suggestions, I shall persevere although I'll admit to getting frequently side-tracked on there. A while ago I went on there looking for hubcaps and bought a pair of Levis. Perfect fit.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: roof Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
Ian I too regarded myself as a poor woodworker.

I have just finished making a body for my 1931 BSA four wheeler.

I bought a secondhand bandsaw, they are available very cheapl. One new blade later I began to cut the wood.

The part that most worried me was the curved boot lid.

I am happy to say most of the difficulty was in my mind.

I live in Mid Wales probably to far away to offer assistance?

Have a go it is easier than you think.

Regards Kels.

Kels, I owe you my thanks. As the car is now ready for MOT I decided to take your advice and have a go at doing the sliding roof. It transpired that a fair amount of the original hardwood frame was reuseable so I hardly needed the bandsaw at work.

I've re-skinned it using some good quality exterior ply which has given it enough strength to enable further detailing to be carried out. I don't suppose that purists would approve of some of my methods but as it's all going to be covered with vinyl on the outside and some form of fabric inside I don't give a monkey's.

I could, of course, take the car for MOT without the roof fitted but would feel daft driving there with an umbrella opened inside the car. You'll have seen the weather, hard not to....good job I fitted a new wiper blade.

Kels, thanks.

Ian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only supplied encouragement. You carried out the work. I am usually surprised at what I can acomplish when I decide to atempt new skills.
I am sure most of us are the same, hope the MOT goes well.

Kels.
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunroof finally trimmed, inside and out. It looks like it ought to so it'll do.
And it slides properly. As Kels said/implied, it's good to find that inner ability to learn new skills and enjoy the accomplishment that comes with that learning.

MOT achieved two days ago with no advisories. Shocked

Still not charging but Alan's wedding is this Saturday, 14th July, so no time to sort that. Anyway, we've only got two miles to cover to the venue.

My wife and I spent several hours cleaning, polishing and detailing the car yesterday and it's looking really rather good. I've tried to achieve a balance between making it look smart yet still looking 75 years old.

If I'm called upon to speak at the wedding I shall have to mention the car. And the help and encouragement from complete strangers encountered on this forum.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: