classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news on the MOT, how did the wedding trip go?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wedding trip and the wedding itself went very well indeed thanks, Rick. It was a joyous occasion.

The Old Morris didn't miss a beat and everyone wanted to be photographed in or near to the car. I was a very proud and rather relieved man.

Truth be told, I can now relax and enjoy the car for what it is. A motoring anachronism and a thing which brings me a sort of smiling, benign inner feeling.

I offer my thanks to everyone on this forum who offered advice, encouragement and information. Invaluable and freely offered. Good people.

Please don't think that the blog ends here. The car's still not charging...............

Ian
Bugly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

Please don't think that the blog ends here. The car's still not charging...............

Ian

Psst ... wanna know a good trick? Try a bit of COCA COLA splashed over the generator ... Very Happy Very Happy

Hey Ian, a great story. So glad it all came together in the end, thanks to a lot of good advice from lots of forum members.

Bugly
welder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugly wrote:
welder wrote:

Ian

Psst ... wanna know a good trick? Try a bit of COCA COLA splashed over the generator ... Very Happy Very Happy

Hey Ian, a great story. So glad it all came together in the end, thanks to a lot of good advice from lots of forum members.

Bugly

Bugly, thank you. You're right about the members of this forum. Good advice, freely given.

As regards the Coca Cola cure for the dynamo....I shall try more conventional methods first but I shall reserve the right to try your "trick" if all else fails. Laughing

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here I am again, hoping to pick brains for further information. A few weeks ago Old Morris started to display all the symptoms of a blown head gasket, steam from the exhaust, bubbling in the radiator and a misfire whilst under load. Upon removal of the spark plugs I noted water on numbers 2 and 3. Not good.

No problem I thought. I had a spare top-end gasket set and it was a matter of minutes to whip the head off. Nothing wrong with the gasket but some sixth sense told me to check the castings in the area of cylinders 2 and 3. Head is fine and true, checked with marking blue on a surface plate. Oh dear, a hairline crack between said cylinders, in the block. The crack appears to run all the way to each of the centre two liners so no telling how extensive it is.

I have a spare block with slightly marked bores and my intention is to have this block sleeved and bored plus 40 thou so that I can use all of my existing engine's internals in this "new" block. Existing engine is/was a recon unit and, as it's a Series E unit, has shell bearings and so on, making it easier, to my mind, to work on than the white-metalled type of engine/crank.

Can anyone commend an engineering shop to carry out the sleeving and overboring that I shall need? Ideally in the West Midlands but not necessarily. I'd be happy to travel to anywhere that can be trusted with this work.

Ian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ian

My m8 block was re sleeved by Dave Ruston Engines in Stoke on trent, I bought the liners from Westwood liners, they stock the m8 liners as a standard line.

Cheers

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi ian

My m8 block was re sleeved by Dave Ruston Engines in Stoke on trent, I bought the liners from Westwood liners, they stock the m8 liners as a standard line.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, thank you. I shall Google both. Stoke isn't far from Brum and, for me, recommendation is more important than location.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought three Morris 8 engines off eBay. Well, I say engines...these look like they've been used to anchor a canal boat, for some time.

Anyway, one of these devices is different from any other 8 engine I've seen and is the only intact (ish) one in the group. The sump has a wider girth than say, a Series 1, at the flywheel end and the oil drain-plug is at that end, rather than central.

The timing chain cover is an aluminium casting which incorporates the front engine mounts. The cylinder head is Series E and the oil filler tube is where it should be on an E, so it's not Series Z.

Any ideas, folks?

Ian
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Could it be one built for use in a boat?
Probably not as I have now looked at a picture of the vedette which is what they called the marine version, but it was also used as an APU for tanks which might have needed a different sump and front end.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
welder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Could it be one built for use in a boat?
Probably not as I have now looked at a picture of the vedette which is what they called the marine version, but it was also used as an APU for tanks which might have needed a different sump and front end.

Both of those thoughts have been entertained. Like you, I investigated the Vedette route and decided against.

Can't yet find suitable images of the APU's, or much in the way of information. I'll persevere. When I get ten minutes I'll whip the sump off, just to see if there are crankshaft balance webs which indicate Series E, as should be.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussed it! It's a bog standard Series E engine. Embarassed

The E engine in my Series 1 is fitted with an earlier sump from a Series 1 as well as the Series 1 timing chain cover to enable front mounts to fit. As a result I've had no idea what an E engine looked like, as standard.

Well now I do cos I've got one Laughing Just got to strip it, make a good engine from the one fitted (cracked block) and the best components from the "new" one...and fit it. A doddle. Shocked

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready for the Big Day!

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!!! Cool Cool

RJ
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta! I've just got my head round Photobucket so expect lots more pics!

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green garage looks like a bit of a tight squeeze Smile

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: