classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
welder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step forward, several steps back! Too cold to be grovelling under Old Morris today, so engine will remain siezed for a while.

Instead, decided to have a closer look at it's ailing Pytchley sun roof. Managed, finally, to remove it by means of removing one of the runners. Six screws, all different heads and sizes, removed. Lift out runner and sunroof together leaving other runner in place. Sorted. Sort of......

The sun roof is rotten. Some previous owner "rebuilt" the roof using several bits of plywood and a piece of MDF. The sub-structure appears to be hardwood and original but is held together solely by the disintegrating bits of manky plywood/MDF. All is far from well!

I need to get my head round this. My woodworking skills are poor so I may actually have to part with money to get this done unless I make the required new sub-structure from aluminium, ply-skinned and vinyl trimmed accordingly. That way I could achieve the necessary curve in the sliding panel, I know how to bend metal Idea

Needs more thought and/or offers of help and advice.

Ian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: roof Reply with quote

Ian I too regarded myself as a poor woodworker.

I have just finished making a body for my 1931 BSA four wheeler.

I bought a secondhand bandsaw, they are available very cheapl. One new blade later I began to cut the wood.

The part that most worried me was the curved boot lid.

I am happy to say most of the difficulty was in my mind.

I live in Mid Wales probably to far away to offer assistance?

Have a go it is easier than you think.

Regards Kels.
welder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: roof Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
Ian I too regarded myself as a poor woodworker.

I have just finished making a body for my 1931 BSA four wheeler.

I bought a secondhand bandsaw, they are available very cheapl. One new blade later I began to cut the wood.

The part that most worried me was the curved boot lid.

I am happy to say most of the difficulty was in my mind.

I live in Mid Wales probably to far away to offer assistance?

Have a go it is easier than you think.

Regards Kels.

Kels, I like your thinking, and I thank you for the advice and guidance on offer. I've slept on my problem and have decided to do the job properly.

I have a decent bandsaw at work and share business premises with Suki Singh Kitaure, a builder who's natural talent lies in carpentry skills. I shall allow him full opportunity to show these skills off. Smile

Truth be told, he'll love the chance to show off. He's a petrol head himself and is following my progress, or lack of it, with genuine interest. There's a company on our business yard (we don't do estates in Digbeth) that makes canvas things for the Military and also make/repair/modify hoods, sidescreens and the like for modern and classic vehicles. The company is staffed almost exclusively by car nuts, too, and will be coerced into involvement with Old Morris, sunroof project generically, vinyl/whatever trim, specifically.

The word of my Son's upcoming nuptials, and his determination to attend in Old Morris, has spread around our work neighbours and I intend to take full advantage of his popularity with them. Rolling Eyes

I'm off now to rehearse my approach to the Turbanator (Suki) in the hope that he'll throw himself enthusiastically into the sunroof project. Straight away.

Ian

PS. Kels, Mid Wales isn't too far from the Midlands. I could always pop over and get you. Very Happy
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnn, I usually manage to discourage visitors when I mention Mid Wales.
It is is ideal country for 1930s cars. Lots of roads that match the cars age.

Seems as if you have the matter in hand, I went out yesterday and cut two shaped running boards for the BSA from wooden planks.

I used for the first time in my life a router that I had been given by a friend to shape the edges.

Apart from the inconvenient fact that I managed to cut the wood leaving a knot on the edge all went well. I told you I was a beginner.

Regards Kels.
GAV105E

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP PUTTING LUBRICANTS ETC DOWN BORES TO UN-SEIZE engine !!!

this will sound mad !!!

USE proper COCA-COLA !! take plugs out poor coke down the bores , leave for 5-10 minutes and i guarantee that engine will be as free as a bird !!!

let me know how you get on.

do not use any other coke alternative it has to been the red genuine coca-cola !!
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAV105E wrote:
STOP PUTTING LUBRICANTS ETC DOWN BORES TO UN-SEIZE engine !!!

this will sound mad !!!

USE proper COCA-COLA !! take plugs out poor coke down the bores , leave for 5-10 minutes and i guarantee that engine will be as free as a bird !!!

let me know how you get on.

do not use any other coke alternative it has to been the red genuine coca-cola !!

I love this sort of daftness! I shall, of course, try this. Think of the tales I could tell down the Pub.....

Oh, put the blag on the Turbanator today, concerning the sunroof project. Told him I'd make him famous on the Internet. He's happy to help me regardless, bless him.

Ian
GAV105E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA !!! i promise you this will work. If it doesnt i will personally come and buy you and all your mates beers all night down your pub !!!!!

I pulled a anglia 105e out of a garage last week which had been sat there for 20 odd years, the engine was solid, i had a huge socket and bar on the crank pulley and was solid.

i took the plugs out, poured a fair amount of COCA-COLA down each bore , ate a sandwich put a blue point ratchet spanner on it and it was as free as a bird !!

Also last year i did exactley the same with a Austin cambridge estate, been sat 32 years and was extremley solid, coke down the bores and we had it running in no time !!!

If you try it and doesnt work come on here and prove me wrong !!!

Also done it with a daimler 420, straight 6 obviously worked a treat

DO NOT USE any other coke altrenative tho !!!!! u get what you pay for remember !!! pepsi wont work !!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of the real thing working before, at a place I used to work at, they had a free drinks machine, offering amongst other things coca-cola. Each day I'd get a cup, and leave an old crusty badge or similar in it, turning it over at mid-day. By the end of the day it'd come out looking great more often than not. Never drank any mind Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
GAV105E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure everyone has tried cleaning a dirty old 2p in coke , brings it out spotless !! ( if u havent try it !!! )
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going down to Tesco right now.

Shopping list.

Do the Lottery.
Buy milk.
Buy cider.
Buy Coca-Cola.

Daren't tell my wife what the Coke's for. She'll look at me over her glasses again.

Ian
GAV105E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good news ! look forward to hearing the result !!
welder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAV105E wrote:
thats good news ! look forward to hearing the result !!

Well, hats off to GAV! The Coca Cola has worked it's magic and the engine just turned over for the first time in 22 years!

It was reluctant initially but after a few turns on the handle it's sweet.

I have some Coke left over. And some Sminoff from Christmas. I'm about to introduce one to the other Very Happy

GAV105E, you're a star. Thank you very much.

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result! Smile so it was piston(s) rather than valve(s) stuck do you think?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
GAV105E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET !!!! least i havent got to buy all your mates beers for the night !!

welldone mate glad i could help ! great news !
welder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Result! Smile so it was piston(s) rather than valve(s) stuck do you think?

RJ

Rick, I'm thinking that it was just dry pistons rather than valvegear. Once the crank had done half a turn it was quite easy with itself.

In fact, a few minutes after posting my eternal thanks to GAV I went back to the garage and I'm delighted to find that I can now turn the engine simply by turning the dynamo via the fan. I have to push against the dynamo belt a little to give added grip, but all feels very pleasing.

I'm delighted with how delighted I feel Very Happy Rang my son and told him the outcome and the method employed. "Coca Cola? What, fizzy pop? I'll stick with Stella, Dad".

I may never buy WD40 again.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: