classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
welder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while and lots of water under the bridge, but that's why they build bridges.............

Lilly-Ann, my granddaughter is now four and speaks impeccably....and almost non-stop. I love her to bits and she's still in love with Old Morris, as am I.

Hadn't been near the car for ages except to pass it in the garage whilst doing other stuff. Lilly followed me the other day to investigate what she calls "Grad's interesting stuff". She spotted the wedding ribbons, still in place from the Big Day, and was intrigued.

So out came the car and it started on my third attempt. We trundled sedately around our village, laughing. "Grad, everyone's pointing at us and smiling".

"Well, smile back".

"I am. This is lovely".

Ian

Lilly-Ann, aged around 19 months, learning to love Old Morris.

Last edited by welder on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Seized Engines Reply with quote

I have found Redex works well if left to soak for a few days. There is a new product in UK "Plus Gas Formula A" which is apparently better than WD40 or anything else for freeing up rusted spark plugs, distributors, nuts and bolts and would probably work in the bores and valves equally well.
Remember do not put the plugs back until the oils etc have been removed or you will have "hydraulicing" and do some damage. Just cover the plug holes with some heavy rags to stop oil spraying everywhere when it frees up and turns.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: 6volt Alternator Reply with quote

How about a picture and some details of your 6 Volt Alternator.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: 6volt Alternator Reply with quote

welder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6volt Alternator Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:

Will do at some point soon. Just need to find my camera..........it's quite small........

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been reading the thread about overhauling a Bishop Cam steering box. There's a fair bit of slack in the steering on my car and I'm wondering how much is too much.

By slack I mean that there's maybe 10 degrees of steering wheel rotation before I can feel resistance.

Is this excessive?

Ian
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Morris Eight about one inch of free play measured at the steering wheel rim is acceptable.

Richard
welder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
On a Morris Eight about one inch of free play measured at the steering wheel rim is acceptable.

Richard

Richard, thanks for that. I've just been out to the garage to check and the free play is about an inch, maybe a little more.

I'll leave things be.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: