classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
welder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAV105E wrote:
SWEET !!!! least i havent got to buy all your mates beers for the night !!

welldone mate glad i could help ! great news !

GAV, I hope that one day our paths may cross and I'll be buying the beers, trust me.

This forum is the business, informative, interesting and very friendly. It's like being amongst friends, innit?

Ian
GAV105E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only found this forum last tuesday i think it was and 1 of the 1st things i read on here was yours about your engine, unfortunatley i took a fair while for my account to be opened and in the meantime i was shouting at the computer to try and stop you putting diesel etc down the bores because i knew coke would work !!!!

heres my number would be good to speak to you in person so i can hear the story in person !

cheers mate !

Last edited by GAV105E on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
welder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAV105E wrote:
I only found this forum last tuesday i think it was and 1 of the 1st things i read on here was yours about your engine, unfortunatley i took a fair while for my account to be opened and in the meantime i was shouting at the computer to try and stop you putting diesel etc down the bores because i knew coke would work !!!!

heres my number would be good to speak to you in person so i can hear the story in person !

[removed]

cheers mate !

Gav, your number is now on my phone memory. I'll give you a bell over the weekend.

You might want to delete your number from this thread, now. This forum can be regarded as safe, I imagine, but with your number available to anyone in the World you're a target for all sorts of lunatics.

Not just classic car enthusiasts.

Ian
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian
You will also need to delete the phone number from your cut and paste section.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shiny penny now, but I'd still use a heavy weight & PlusGas!
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAN / WELDER

EDIT THE QUOTE PLEASE

The phone number is still shown in your post.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
IAN / WELDER

EDIT THE QUOTE PLEASE

fear not it is done Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Roger-hatchy wrote:
IAN / WELDER

EDIT THE QUOTE PLEASE

fear not it is done Smile

RJ

Proper admin, thanks Rick.

Brief update. Today carb removed, dismantled, thoroughly cleaned, lightly lubed and refitted.

New battery purchased from eBay, need to collect from Cannock early next week. Only a few miles from home so I'll probably go on Monday cos I'm impatient to get Old Morris running and, being self employed, I can do whatever I like, whenever I like. Ish. Confused

Best bit of today, though, was having a proper tidy/explore of the garage/cave/junkyard. I knew I'd got a largeish steel trunk with useful/electrical stuff in it and eventually unearthed it, having flung aside several thousands of pounds worth of fishing stuff.

This Pandora's Box revealed items I'd suspected were there and quite a lot I'd forgotten about. A reconditioned 6 volt dynamo with pulley etc, still with label declaring it to be Series E and in tested order. Another 6 volt dynamo, this one a 3-brush item suitable for my car, looking tidy. And a few regulator/control boxes, suitable for my car and Series E, as well as loads of useful stuff like taps, dies and other tooling. I was very pleased, in fact I danced about for a while, grinning. The dogs thought I'd finally lost it.....................but still joined in.

Ian

PS. Also found a 0-1" Starrett micrometer, siezed solid. I imagine that some of you will guess what it's currently soaking in. Wink
welder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected and fitted new battery last Monday. I have lights and the wiper works. Fuel pump doesn't. Removed it and dismantled it only to find that the pumping chamber is fatally fractured and is beyond repair. Shocked

Got onto Burlen Fuel Systems, cracking people it turns out, and ordered a new SU ASA26 replacement pump which arrived today, bless them. £92-50 delivered seems entirely reasonable to me.

This coming weekend may, all being well, see Old Morris running. Or, at least, walking briskly. Stumbling will do.............

Iv'e taken the radiator to Readyrads in Digbeth, very close to workplace, for pessure/leak testing. I'd already back flushed it and was astonished at the volume of what looked like mud that flowed out. It took a good while before the water ran clear. I then repeated the process in reverse, rad upended, and freed up even more muck. We do some welding repairs for these guys, aluminium intercoolers being favourite, so I know that they'll
look after me.

I'm begining to feel like I'm getting somewhere now despite overhearing my wife on the phone recently. Just snatches of her conversation.... "Yes, he's determined to have the car done in time......can't let Alan down........22 years standing, you know......poor old thing." I do hope that the last bit didn't refer to me..........

Ian

PS. Morris Register enamel/chrome bumper badge arrived yesterday, daren't fit it yet as it will put to shame the rest of the car. I've just been lovingly fondling it. The badge, not the car.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, I was amazed how much crud came out of my '32 Minor's engine when I pulled the elbow off the side of the block, it was caked up fully.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Good stuff, I was amazed how much crud came out of my '32 Minor's engine when I pulled the elbow off the side of the block, it was caked up fully.

RJ

Rick, you've just triggered a thought. If the radiator was that full of muck then I have to assume that the engine block will be too. Will get the car pulled out from the garage and apply the garden hose. Tomorrow.

New fuel pump fitted and working a treat. Downside is that the flexible, braided hose from pump to carb is leaking like a riddle, obviously perished beneath the braid covering. The hose assembly is swaged at the connections so these will have to be carefully cut off and a length of decent quality fuel hose fitted using Jubilee clips. Tomorrow.

I've spent most of today removing, cleaning and remaking several electrical connections so that the frugal 6 volts may get where they need to. New battery clamps, too, cos I found some in Pandora's Box. Oh, I have a spark at the plugs now so shall try to introduce sparks to petrol once I've fixed the fuel pipe. Tomorrow. Honest.

I've recently realised that what I fondly thought would be a simple recommisioning is , in fact, turning into a restoration. Never mind, I'm loving it!

Ian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Morris Reply with quote

What did you do to remove the Coca cola from the engine? I presume it would need removing, or neutralising as it is acidic.
I can imagine it dropping down onto the crank. Not a happy scenario.

Regards Kels.
welder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Morris Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
What did you do to remove the Coca cola from the engine? I presume it would need removing, or neutralising as it is acidic.
I can imagine it dropping down onto the crank. Not a happy scenario.

Regards Kels.

Psychic link here, Kels. Working on the car today I had the same thought. So, off with it's head, to paraphrase somebody or other.

I'd already got a top-end gasket set from eBay so it was no great hardship to whip the head off and have a bit of a clean up. It was quite rewarding as all I surveyed was in very good nick. When I bought the car it's then owner told me that the engine, a series E, had been found, crated and painted gold, during the clear out of what had been an Austin-Morris dealership. It was, it transpired, a Gold Seal factory rebuild. Evidence of gold paint is now clearly visible where the green paint is..erm..falling off.

Well, the cross-hatching from honing of the cylinder bores is still present and I can find no signs of wear at all. Love it.

Head refitted, I mended the fuel pipe from pump to carb, flushed out engine block and fitted new spark plugs. I won't run, or fire, even. I'm not overly concerned. This is a 75 year old car that has been completely ignored for more than two decades so I shall have to learn some patience and be methodical. The sooner the better! Rolling Eyes

At least I now have the benefit of a source of warmth in the garage. Concerned for my old bones Suki the Turbanator donated to the cause a Super Ser gas-fired heater that had been lying in his garage for 15 years, becoming a theme, this lying around garages.
So, replenished gas cylinder fitted and..nothing. Dismantled gas pilot and assorted gubbins, blew clear bits that held no meaning to me and reassembled it all. Ha! Heat. Then put fresh batteries in an elderly radio and I now have all a man could hope for in a garage. Warmth and the capability to hear Birmingham City beat Sheffield 4-Nil. Hurrah! And Arsenal did the Villa 3-2. Hurrah again. Even more, in fact.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't persuade sparks and fuel to cooperate with each other and make the engine run. I vaguely remember finding a NOS distributor at some point after parking the car up and fitting it in a (then) rare moment of enthusiasm. It's probable that I've got the ignition timing all wrong and/or the plug leads in the wrong relative positions. Out with the plugs, then, and finger in front plug hole to feel for TDC on compression stroke.

Tomorrow, possibly.

Ian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try fresh fuel in the carb, I have had problems in the past. Petrol was only about a year old. Would run when started on new fuel and continue to run on old petrol when warm.

Regards Kels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: