classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
welder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
Try fresh fuel in the carb, I have had problems in the past. Petrol was only about a year old. Would run when started on new fuel and continue to run on old petrol when warm.

Regards Kels.

Kels, thanks for that. I have drained the fuel system of what was once petrol and put a gallon of what is definately petrol into the tank. Nowt!

I've convinced myself that I've got the sparks arriving at the wrong time in the Otto cycle so this weekend I shall mostly be sorting that out, aided and abetted by our 19 month old grandaughter who just loves being in the garage with Grandad. She sits in the drivers seat shouting instructions in a form of language that will, eventually, become English.

She's possibly telling me to get on with things as her Dad wants to go to his wedding in the car. No pressure, then.............

Ian
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you used CocaCola to free off the engine, maybe you should Put Some Tizer In Your Tank!
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAV105E wrote:
HA !!! i promise you this will work. If it doesnt i will personally come and buy you and all your mates beers all night down your pub !!!!!

I pulled a anglia 105e out of a garage last week which had been sat there for 20 odd years, the engine was solid, i had a huge socket and bar on the crank pulley and was solid.

i took the plugs out, poured a fair amount of COCA-COLA down each bore , ate a sandwich put a blue point ratchet spanner on it and it was as free as a bird !!

Also last year i did exactley the same with a Austin cambridge estate, been sat 32 years and was extremley solid, coke down the bores and we had it running in no time !!!

Hi I just bought an old Mini engine, that sat in a garden for 30 years (without manifolds) and its stuck, I took off he valve cover, and removed the rockers, to find that 4 valves also are stuck Rolling Eyes the gearbox is also rusted solid Crying or Very sad do you think Coca Cola can help here also ?

J C
welder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
Since you used CocaCola to free off the engine, maybe you should Put Some Tizer In Your Tank!

I see what you did there. Smile

I well remember the old Esso ad campaign "Put a Tiger in your tank", and all the furry tigers tails, rear screen stickers and the like that went with it.

I'll stick with premium unleaded, thanks.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
GAV105E wrote:
HA !!! i promise you this will work. If it doesnt i will personally come and buy you and all your mates beers all night down your pub !!!!!

I pulled a anglia 105e out of a garage last week which had been sat there for 20 odd years, the engine was solid, i had a huge socket and bar on the crank pulley and was solid.

i took the plugs out, poured a fair amount of COCA-COLA down each bore , ate a sandwich put a blue point ratchet spanner on it and it was as free as a bird !!

Also last year i did exactley the same with a Austin cambridge estate, been sat 32 years and was extremley solid, coke down the bores and we had it running in no time !!!

Hi I just bought an old Mini engine, that sat in a garden for 30 years (without manifolds) and its stuck, I took off he valve cover, and removed the rockers, to find that 4 valves also are stuck Rolling Eyes the gearbox is also rusted solid Crying or Very sad do you think Coca Cola can help here also ?

J C

JC, it can't harm to try it. Buy a large bottle and use half of it.

If it does'nt work you can console yourself by adding a nice vodka to the remainder.

Good luck, either way Confused

Ian
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

JC, it can't harm to try it. Buy a large bottle and use half of it.

If it does'nt work you can console yourself by adding a nice vodka to the remainder.

Good luck, either way Confused

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the advice, I will do that, but I think it will take me a lot more than half a bottle of Coke & vodka,
to console myself if it doesnt Crying or Very sad
Then I might do plan B & put it into a big jar full of Diesel, and leave it for a couple of years Wink

Jens Christian
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a special engine of some sort JC?
Surely not a simple 998 or 1275 which are still plentiful if you're going to all that trouble!!
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
Surely not a simple 998 or 1275 which are still plentiful if you're going to all that trouble!!

Hi N,

Was waiting for someone to ask that question Wink and a big YES Cool

Its one of those engines with the BIG bore, and tappet covers, that can be removed, from the block.
It has too many studs&bolts to hold the head, no vacuum on the destributer, and a "FAT" flange where you bolt it to the gearbox .

Ohh and the gearbox has driveshaft couplings, that share first name with one part, of a VERY famues American comedy couple Wink

Jens Christian
welder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
bob2 wrote:

Hi N,

Was waiting for someone to ask that question Wink and a big YES Cool

Its one of those engines with the BIG bore, and tappet covers, that can be removed, from the block.
It has too many studs&bolts to hold the head, no vacuum on the destributer, and a "FAT" flange where you bolt it to the gearbox .

Ohh and the gearbox has driveshaft couplings, that share first name with one part, of a VERY famues American comedy couple Wink

Jens Christian

Laurel and Hardy? Hardy-Spicer? What, for goodness sake? I need to sleep nights!

The remnants of the once mighty Hardy Spicer is about 3 miles from where I sit, a great friend of mine carries out repairs/rebuilds/maintenance related to their heat treatment process equipment and may, possibly, have access to otherwise unobtainable stuff.

Anything you need?

Ian
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

Laurel and Hardy? Hardy-Spicer? What, for goodness sake? I need to sleep nights!

The remnants of the once mighty Hardy Spicer is about 3 miles from where I sit, a great friend of mine carries out repairs/rebuilds/maintenance related to their heat treatment process equipment and may, possibly, have access to otherwise unobtainable stuff.

Anything you need?

Ian

Hi Ian, you are correct Cool its has Hardy Spicer driveshaft axle/couplings.

Better get you to bed then Wink

Its a genuine thick flange S, with removable tappet chests on the back.

11 stud genuine S head, S destributor, S rocker gear, etc

The original 1275 alloy plate, is still attached, on the back of the engine Cool

I am missing one side, for the axle ? if you can help ?? can I post a picture.

Jens Christian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that Cola is a mild acid. If you intend to use it it would be wise to consider how you will remove it afterwards.

Regards Kels.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find JC, you could always start a new thread about it!!
welder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
welder wrote:

Anything you need?

Ian

Hi Ian, you are correct Cool its has Hardy Spicer driveshaft axle/couplings.

Better get you to bed then Wink

Its a genuine thick flange S, with removable tappet chests on the back.

11 stud genuine S head, S destributor, S rocker gear, etc

The original 1275 alloy plate, is still attached, on the back of the engine Cool

I am missing one side, for the axle ? if you can help ?? can I post a picture.

Jens Christian

Jens, put up a photo of the item you have and I'll pass it to my pal Frank who I mentioned. He's something of a petrol head too so would be pleased to help if he can.

Ian
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
nice find JC, you could always start a new thread about it!!

Thanks N, but I didnt "find" it, a friend did, but it was TOO bad for him, so he passed it on to me.

Can make some pictures, and post.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

Jens, put up a photo of the item you have and I'll pass it to my pal Frank who I mentioned. He's something of a petrol head too so would be pleased to help if he can.

Ian

Hi Ian, and thanks, I will make a picture of the axle part I am missing.

The diff & output flanges are all there, its only one axle part missing.

Jens Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: