classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of our local NT's, he was telling me that VOSA can turn up unannounced and re-test a vehicle that's just been tested, they will apply the letter of the MOT law. Its the individual testers licence (and livelihood) that is at risk should they find anything wrong, so if you are leaning on your local classic friendly MOT station to pass something, just be aware of this.

On older cars they don't have to look at the headlamp beam pattern, as long as its not going to dazzle ( Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing with M8 lamps) on dip it should get a pass.

Pre 1930 you can have a single birthday cake candle and it will pass Very Happy

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you. I'm glad I don't need a screen washer if only cos it's one less thing to do Very Happy .

As regards the headlamps I had already thought about converting both to twin-filament bulbs anyway, so that's what I'll do. I'd better get mooching on eBay then.

Once more, many thanks for all the invaluable answers. Especially the comment from Dave, concerning the birthday cake candle Very Happy Very Happy .

Ian
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
An alternative to twin fills would be to fit another moveable reflector in the N/S lamp.

Don't twin fills also require lenses with beam bending facets? Also are the reflectors the right shape to deflect the dip beam correctly?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
hi
An alternative to twin fills would be to fit another moveable reflector in the N/S lamp.

Don't twin fills also require lenses with beam bending facets? Also are the reflectors the right shape to deflect the dip beam correctly?

I'm adding a second mechanical reflector to my M8.

Re the lenses, Morris fitted mechanical dipping reflectors to the UK (Home) cars and dual filament to all export models Confused the Lens is the same for both Home & Export models, I'm not sure about the reflector shape differences, it has a different part number, but it would as the bulb holder would be different.

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a proper look at my headlights and both have the dipping solenoids! Neither works, however. Lamps light up fine off the switch but there's no change when dip switch is operated. Maybe the dip switch is faulty but I suspect that it'll be something else.

Since the reflectors need re-silvering anyway I'll have to dismantle both assemblies which will give me the impetus to either fix the solenoid operation or convert to twin filament bulbs. Alternatively I may call into Vale-Onslows and see what they've got in the way of motorcycle reflectors/bulbs/holders. They've never let me down when seeking bits for old bikes and they have a vast knowledge, and stock, of stuff.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got a fully functioning braking system. Hoorah! All four wheel cylinders removed, de-siezed, pistons and bores polished and reassembled with all new seals. Bleed nipples and fixing bolts scrubbed with a wire brush and threads lightly oiled before refitting. Brake shoes are a mix of the better ones from the originals and my stash of spares, giving me a full set of hardly worn linings. Drums scrubbed clean internally and painted shiny black externally.

Master cylinder was overhauled in-situ and despite being partly siezed was in half decent nick. All cleaned out and full set of new seals fitted.

All three flexible brake hoses replaced, the one serving the rear axle was a test of my perseverance and my pain threshold Rolling Eyes .

System topped up with DOT 4 brake fluid and bled. I've never had much faith in them "automatic" bleed hoses but the one I bought in Halfords worked a treat, bit short though.

For me this is a major hurdle overcome. I'm amazed at what can be achieved in a weekend. Proper working brakes to augment the proper working engine. Oh, and my wife has treated Old Morris to a full set of new tyres and inner tubes which should arrive early next week. I really did marry well.

Next? Headlights and sort out the dynamo/regulator/charging system. Get tyres fitted and try for an MOT. Better get some insurance too.

Once I've got the car driveable and legal I can take it to work and Suki the Turbanator will help me to construct a replacement for the manky Pytchley sliding roof. Jas who runs the bodyshop next door may, possibly, be coerced into some light remedial stuff on the paintwork. I know that he'll ask how I'll be paying. "Reluctantly" will be my response.

Ian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:
All three flexible brake hoses replaced, the one serving the rear axle was a test of my perseverance and my pain threshold Rolling Eyes .
Ian

Would that be removing the 5/8" nut from the brake hose where it attaches to the chassis?.....took me about a hour to get the rear hose off the Z van because its difficult to get real leverage on the nut without damaging the support bracket Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Good news about bringing the brakes back to life Very Happy

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you're quite right, that 5/8" backnut was a wretch to get at, let alone undo! The situation was improved once I'd been into work and brought home another trolley jack and axle stands. The back of the car was very high indeed before I could gain reasonable access. The share price of WD40 is at a current high due to volume of sales.

Ian
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is better than nothing, however I advise you to try Plus gas in future it is made to penetrate and ease locked fastners.

WD 40 stands for water displacement 40th try. and is what it is sold for.

Kels.
welder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
WD40 is better than nothing, however I advise you to try Plus gas in future it is made to penetrate and ease locked fastners.

WD 40 stands for water displacement 40th try. and is what it is sold for.

Kels.

I'll have a look for PlusGas. I'm aware that WD40 is/was designed as a water repellant and is based upon fish oil of some sort.

When I was a much younger man PlusGas was the freeing agent of choice, don't think UB40 (as my sister in law calls it) was invented then.

Ian
welshrover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my grand father used plus gas in them days, good stuff ,i use atf and acetone mixed together not much stays together when ive used it, Very Happy give it a go .
welder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
my grand father used plus gas in them days, good stuff ,i use atf and acetone mixed together not much stays together when ive used it, Very Happy give it a go .

I've worked with acetone in the past. I didn't stay together for very long either Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .

Ian
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone finds a source of PlusGas I'd really like to know about it.
I did try several traditional iron-mongers/hardware stores in the Bath area a few weeks ago & drew a complete blank - except on the faces of the shop assistants!
I was able to find a mail-order supplier, both in the UK & the US I think, so it is still around & maybe that's the only way to buy it now.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Gas is about the only "Tomorrows World" item I ever remember coming into common use.
I remember the inventor demonstrating it to undo corroded railway fish-plate nuts which no one else could undo. He also introduced me to the idea of tightening the nut first.
The last tin I had I treated like gold because I have never come across a supply since. I have about a tea-spoon full left.
Jim.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same with me - best stuff I have come across but long gone and not seen any
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: