classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dynamo internal wiring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Doz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Dynamo internal wiring Reply with quote

I stripped down the dynamo from the Austin 10 today (a Lucas E418), ran the multimeter over it and generally cleaned it up. It was in remarkably good condition, however the insulation on the internal wires from the brushes to the terminals and field coils has got extremely brittle and broken up in many places (photo below). I'm assuming that it's perhaps something heatproof - could someone that knows about these things please tell me what I should use to replace it? I'm presuming that covering the existing wires with heatshrink would count as a botch?! Many thanks, Bruce
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce

You could buy some insulation sleeve, nothing wrong with heatshrink, it probably better than what was fitted originally. Very Happy

Cheers Dave
Doz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, heatshrink looks like the easiest option (plus I already have some) so I think that's what I'll do.
jp928

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an E418 on a Rover9 (1926m chain driven). Mine only has one wire coming out of the rear cover - can you advise please how yours is connected ? The wiring diagram shows D going to a +ve terminal in the main wiring centre, a lead from -ve post to -ve on wiring centre, and a green wire (lighter gauge than the other 2)from a shunt to the wiring centre.
Does this make sense?
thanks
jp
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure HS is a good idea as dynamos get quite hot inside when charging at high load which may soften it?
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3M company manufacture a Glass Cloth Adhesive tape.

This is a US link, acts as a guide.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/Glass-Cloth-Tape?N=5473999&rt=r3

I used it on a regular basis when I worked in the UK and later we sold quite a lot when we had the Elec Wholesale Co.
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionally a type of closely-woven cloth sleeving would be used on internal wiring, usually either blue or red. As often as not it's still used for carbon brush wires. Any decent auto-electrician should have some. Heat shrink and PVC sleeving may become hard and brittle in an environment that always hot.

Richard
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could comment on the pic of my E418 re extra leads please? Wiring diagram shows 3 leads, but there is only one there - the red/black lead to the left. What wires does your have ?
Thanks
jp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: