classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

water overflow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
shell27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: water overflow Reply with quote

I had a bit of a upset last year the water pump went down and the car over heated and blew the head gasket, anyway took off the head got a new head gasket had the head skimmed put it all back all lovely. Sent the pump away and had it re-conned but I still have a problem, I fill it up with water and when it gets to temperture about 75/80 water starts to come out of the overflow for no apparrant reason. The car is not over heating there are no pipes leaking and I have had the rad re-cored, this car does not have a radiator cap it has a small screwed down tank to one side of the radiator top tank which houses a brass valve type thing and a spring
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car is it?

rgds, Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
P3steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dose it find its own level or dose it keep pumping the water out - remember lots of cars up to the 1950s had open vent systems with no pressure caps
Farmer John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shell27, bit of a problem in the ole cooling system. First, resist the temptation to tear it apart, there is nothing more frustrating than standing before a bench covered with engine bits and trying to figure out what caused the problem.
It seems at this stage that the water is being displaced inside the block, head, or somewhere in the cooling system by air or combustion gas.
If this problem occurs without the vehicle having been driven you can test for gases by running the engine with the water pump drive disconnected and the top hose fitting open to the atmosphere and filled to the brim. Even the tiniest trail of bubbles is confirmation, although gas may be trapped for a while and suddenly erupt!
So please be VERY careful of the coolant once it is up to temperature! Faceshield, gloves, cover right up.
Most garages have a tester to detect combustion gas in the coolant, probably the best place to start if you do find bubbles, whatever it costs.
Even if you establish that combustion gas is getting into the coolant, the diagnosis is not complete, but start there anyway.

John
shell27

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Water overflow Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, in answer to the first one the car is a 1939 Sunbeam Talbot 4 Litre straight 6 side valve. In answer to the second I thought that it may have a level that it would stay at, but since this message went live I have had a couple of developments one is I found a leaking core plug and after a 5 mile run the pump was leaking again, I have addressed both problems and will be giving the old girl a run later today. Finally I am afraid you have lost me a bit with the engine gas thing, but I am not sure of what your method is as my car has one huge top hose and if I take that off the car will have no coolant in it at all, the pump its self is down be hind the dynamo and it is all run by the distributor strange I know but it is quite an early car. Thanks for the comments though.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

& needless to say, if it has a thermostat, check that it is not stuck closed - or temporarily take it out.

Does the temperature gauge tell you anything? eg does it wander up & down?
Five miles isn't really enough to get everything up to a stable temperature.

Some systems need to be bled of air, following some usually convoluted process, but I doubt if that's needed on a car of this age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: