classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Oxy 'n' Blowtorch - Annealing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Oxy 'n' Blowtorch - Annealing Reply with quote

My mapp gas blow torch decided to prematurely die...I tried to fix it but it didn't work......I seem to get through blowtorches!
Should go for a plumber style torch tube & bottle affair or even a Oxy system for a more robust way to anneal small steel items?

I do have a bent steering link, which I need to straighten. It's about 20mm dia, and I plan to anneal it (cherry red) prior to straightening on a press - being almost 80 years old I'm frightened it will snap otherwise.

.....the thing is, what can I use to heat it?!
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a billy before now, ala tea making in the forces.
But HSE might have a heart attack if I posted how on here.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use oxy-propane these days. If the Fire Brigade saw me with an acetylene cylinder in the workshop they would evacuate Manchester.
It gets well hot enough for unseizing, re-shaping, brazing, and cutting. Not tried actual welding with it. TIG or MIG these days.
Handyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very wary about heating up the steering arm if it is cast iron, as there will be a good chance the structure will crystallize at your proposed temperature.

You could try heat soaking to anneal it in a box of sand, to let it cool really slowly. It might age harden subsequently. If its made from bar, can you not remake one in new steel?

Handyman
Julian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy 'n' Blowtorch - Annealing Reply with quote

whiteshadow wrote:
My mapp gas blow torch decided to prematurely die...I tried to fix it but it didn't work......I seem to get through blowtorches!
Should go for a plumber style torch tube & bottle affair or even a Oxy system for a more robust way to anneal small steel items?

I do have a bent steering link, which I need to straighten. It's about 20mm dia, and I plan to anneal it (cherry red) prior to straightening on a press - being almost 80 years old I'm frightened it will snap otherwise.

.....the thing is, what can I use to heat it?!

The cheapest way forward is a proper propane torch amd separate cylinder - forget butane/propane aerosol type things, they're just toys! The secret to getting things proper hot with propane is to invest in some firebricks to reflect the heat. Look at the propane powered portable forges that farriers use, they get steel hot enough to 'fire weld.'

Julian.
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: as you say.... Reply with quote

That's pretty much the conclusion I had come to!

....I looked into getting a small bottle of propane (3.8kg), but wasn't yet convinced enough to stomp up ~£45 for bottle + Gas.
I did try to exchange an old 13kg butane bottle as the bottle deposit, but they were not interested.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye open round your local fly tipping sites for a propane bottle - they turn up fairly often. They charge you for a bottle and call it a deposit, but if at some point you no longer need the bottle, getting that "deposit" back is like trying to persuade a lump of granite to become a blood donor. Scrappies don't want them either, so people have to dump them just to get rid of the damn things, I've had 2 this way - the size I wanted, no bother - and could have a yardful by now if I wanted them... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: