classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Buying Parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Buying Parts Reply with quote

Does anyone else recognise this problem? Apparently, my US cars don’t have oil filters. Why? Because they aren’t on computer!

Years ago, it was easy. You went to the parts store. You asked for the part. The guy scratched his head, went to a shelf, and came back with the part. Today, you ask for the part, they look on computer, if they don’t find it there, then it doesn’t exist, and they cant sell you something that doesn’t exist…even if you can see a whole shelf full of them!

Could it be so that people of today, especially youngsters, think that a computer is reality, and everything outside it fantasy?

UJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe
The oil filters on your Chrysler and Lincoln are the same.
Just have them look up a filter for any 1968 on up for a Ford, car or pickup.
(example: 1977 Ford F100 351v8)

If they can crossover part #'s..........
AC Delco.......PF2
Fram.............PH8A
Bosch...........72102
Motorcraft (Ford).....FL-1A

If you need the shorter version filters use......
AC..........PF13
Bosch......72198
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuchamp, I actually gave them the Motorcraft #, as well as the Purolator (L30001).

I think that the problem was partilly because they couldn't crossover numbers, but also because the guy was young, and couldn't understand that a Ford filter could possibly fit a Chrysler!

One of the things that I like about US cars is that if something works, its around for ever. The filter is a good example. One the one hand, it will fit say a '57 ford or '59 Chrysler, on the other hand the same filter (I think) will fit a '97 V6 4.0 Aerostar. I wonder how many different engines that filter will fit?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do fit quite a few! Very Happy
You can also add AMC Rambler to the Ford & Chrysler list.
Iniciado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
And I think that only in Portugal we have problem like this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: