classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tired E93A - Compression Pressures?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
fordpop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Tired E93A - Compression Pressures? Reply with quote

My 103E Pop engine seems a bit tired. Power doesn't seem to be all it should be - I'm needing to drop down a gear (embarrassing when you've only got three) for main road inclines that i would expect it to take in top. I don't know the history of the engine but it seems to run sweetly enough. It doesn't burn any oil, just rattles a little bit when the engine is neither pulling nor on the over-run. I've tried altering the timing within the limits of the normal adjustment but it doesn't seem to make very much difference. I thought a compression check might be a good idea and find that I have 75-80 psi on each cylinder. Is this about what it should be? Anyone have any further thoughts?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory it should be about 100 psi I think. But make sure you are testing with the throttle wide open!
Jim.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the starting handle give it a turn over, two full rotations, you will feel all four compressions and also feel if one is weaker than the others. Of course if it turns like a Singer sewing machine then you KNOW that something is wrong! Shocked

Pete.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearer 100 would be better, but at least they're consistent! I seem to remember my E83W was around 80-90 per cylinder and that drove ok - for an E83W.

You may find that lapping in the valves might help a little. Do the plugs look a good colour?

PS welcome to the forum Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the ignition timing. It may be a bit retarded causing power loss.

Art
fordpop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful replies. The concensus seems to be that the compression pressures are a bit down, but I must confess that in my ignorance, they were all taken with the throttle closed - I'm not sure how much difference that might have made?

I have been reluctant to start stripping the engine but think that I will have to take a look at the valves. It will also be a good opportunity to inspect the bores and find out what size pistons are in there!

Alan
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fordpop wrote:
Thanks for the helpful replies. The concensus seems to be that the compression pressures are a bit down, but I must confess that in my ignorance, they were all taken with the throttle closed - I'm not sure how much difference that might have made?

I have been reluctant to start stripping the engine but think that I will have to take a look at the valves. It will also be a good opportunity to inspect the bores and find out what size pistons are in there!

Alan

Throw those results away!
If air cannot get into the cylinders there is little to compress and the results will reflect that. A wide open throttle is ESSENTIAL.
Jim.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSTON wrote:
If you have the starting handle give it a turn over, two full rotations, you will feel all four compressions and also feel if one is weaker than the others. Of course if it turns like a Singer sewing machine then you KNOW that something is wrong! Shocked

Pete.
So what is wrong with a Singer sewing machine one of the best in its time!!!!!,an engine should run like a sewing machine.
fordpop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:

Throw those results away!
If air cannot get into the cylinders there is little to compress and the results will reflect that. A wide open throttle is ESSENTIAL.
Jim.

Thanks Jim - ok, before I get the spanners out I'll do the compression tests again with the throttle wide open this time, and report back...

Alan.
fordpop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Have you checked the ignition timing. It may be a bit retarded causing power loss.

Art

Art - I'm wondering if it's me - I used to be fairly advanced - quite a bright spark too - but these days am definitely feeling a bit retarded, with usual signs of power loss...

Alan
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan
It's called depreciation. Laughing Wink
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

Welcome to the club.

Art
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,
Maybe you've just got too used to the phenomenal power of the Pop! Wink Smile

I had simular problems, lack of power and on hard acceleration, pinking !
I thought obviously the timing needed adjusting but no matter where adjusted, couldn't get it to run as good as before.
I ended up giving the engine a de-coke and has been great ever since!
Hope this helps,
Greg
fordpop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Hi Alan,
Maybe you've just got too used to the phenomenal power of the Pop! Wink Smile
Greg

Thanks Greg - you may well be right...!

I can feel a de-coke coming on.

Alan
ka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: De-coke Reply with quote

Whilst you are in there, it may be worth removing the pistons and checking ring gaps, and replacing if necessary. If you use new rings remember to glaze bust the bores.
If you have not removed the valves before, the mushroom tool is an absolute must, (the exhaust collets will be tighter than the inlet), and it is well worth either marking or keeping everything in the same order as you removed it, this will make valve clearances easier to re-set when rebuilding.
Do you have the valve guide tool?, this helps no-end when grinding in the valves. If not clean up the collets and use the pair with the valve to hold the valve when grinding in.
Gaskets and rings are readily available. Best of luck.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: