classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pop 103E engine rebuild
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
JC22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Pop 103E engine rebuild Reply with quote

I have just finished rebuilding the E93a in my 103E and looking to get it fired up. Just looking for suggestions at this point for the best method. I have installed a new battery as well and am worried about damaging the battery while going through this process. I have wound it over a few times and just worried about straining the battery too much. Is a rattle gun on the dognut a smarter option. It seemed like a bit of a drag on the battery trying it on the start cable.

Thanks
Jason
exbmc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: start up Reply with quote

As you have just rebuilt it, the engine is probably a little tight, so may sound slow to rotate on the starter. Personally, i wind new engines over briefly with the spark plugs out, just to raise oil pressure. Then plugs in and fire up straight away. You could even use the handle, if there is sparks and fuel, it will go. Too many tentative wind overs, without raising oil pressure, will wipe off the build oil.
ka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Rebuild Reply with quote

I echo the previous points. I have just rebuilt my engine, reground mains/new shells, re-white metaled rods/crank grind, rebore and pistons. I prime the oil pump before turning the engine over, then used the starter motor without the head on (same effect as no plugs) to get oilo pressure before putting the engine under load. Head on, time up and started first go.

Better three than four.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead acid batteries love a fast discharge (tight engine!) and slow recharge (trickle charger)

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: